Honda Foreman Forums banner

worst of the 500 class

37077 Views 203 Replies 47 Participants Last post by  Foreman0n22s
I read on one website that all of the top manufactures where asked to submit their best ATV in the 500 class for a shoot out. Honda's entry was their Rubicon. The results were has follows:

1. Was the Suzuki's 450 King Quad
2. CanAM 500
3. Polaris 500
5. Yamaha's 450 Grizzly
6. Artic Cat's 500
7. Honda' Rubicon

The what they said about the honda was "As for our last-place finisher, the Honda, there are several things that make the machine feel really dated, despite the GPS display next to the instrumentation.

The engine is smooth and without a hiccup, and it gets high scores in the areas of stability and handling thanks to flat cornering.

While it handles well in most trail conditions, the suspension and brakes are badly in need of an update, regardless of how many Rubicons are sold. It would also benefit from a driveline upgrade to a locking differential to pull it through what its bottom-of-the-class ground clearance cannot.

Contributing Editor Jerrod Kelley said it best: “A rider will have to weigh this quad’s minuses (rough, small, slow, boring) vs. its pluses (name, reliability and tranny).â€
61 - 80 of 204 Posts
What kind of sport bike do you ride? I think anything over 400cc is perfect for adults and most teens. I can rip around on my Z400 like its a race bike, yet putt around on it like an old man all day long. And when I say old man, I mean OLD man. Someone in their 80's, not some of you old guys that can still hammer like their young, lol.
My daughter has a recon wth a pipe and a different air filter. It was "zippier' than our Rancher ES 4x4.

Isn't a recon a 250 EX with utility plastic and racks??
My daughter has a recon wth a pipe and a different air filter. It was "zippier' than our Rancher ES 4x4.

Isn't a recon a 250 EX with utility plastic and racks??
I sure miss my old Recon. You guys would just about **** your pants at some of the stuff I used to do on that thing. Too many close calls, near deaths to name. Glad I got those days outta my system before I moved to machines with real power.

I am pretty sure they are the same, motor and chassis wise. The newer 250EX/X models use a sport clutch. Its like a manual clutch, that won't stall out when the rpm's are low.
I stuck with a v-twin 650 Ninja and that's more than enough to cause damage. But I'm referring to the CCs on quads...I asked for some advice when I started looking into a used one. I didn't want an offroad bike..too much work. Maybe in another 6 months I can look at sport quad but for now need to get my ride time in with the 450 and snag a trailer or somewhere to store my truck shell.
That was the 300,,,,,,LOL. I'm still waiting for them to come out with a smaller 4x4 again. A 300/350 Recon in 4x4 would be an amazing machine and a beginners machine for many customers.
Me and 3 of my buddies went on a booze cruise last night.... 2 rubis 1 rincon and my other buddy just picked up a 300 rancher. That thing had some pretty bald tires and he went all the same screwed up places we did I was amazed!
That was the 300,,,,,,LOL. I'm still waiting for them to come out with a smaller 4x4 again. A 300/350 Recon in 4x4 would be an amazing machine and a beginners machine for many customers.
Yeah I miss the ol 300. I wish honda had a smaller frame 4x4 too. My friend in grade shool had a timberwolf 250 4x4 (hard to find). That thing was INCREDIBLE.
Yeah I miss the ol 300. I wish honda had a smaller frame 4x4 too. My friend in grade shool had a timberwolf 250 4x4 (hard to find). That thing was INCREDIBLE.
We got a 99 Wolverine that is just Tough as nails, full time 4X4!
And tha bad part is those small framed and little motored quads will darn near go just about any place a big one will and even more places in some instances. IMO the 500 class in todays world (they used to be the "big bores" is the most... I cant think of the word...AHH impractical other than a work horse (SRA on the honda) or a trail machine. I mean really a big bore will go just about anywhere because of the power and the capability to not just turn but spin big tires, and the small machines are light enough as to where they dont sink nearly as easy and with their small tires it will spin them off all day. Now the 500 class is literally and figuratively in the middle. We weigh just as much as a big bore minus alot of power, and we're not nearly as agile as the little guys. Its definitely a toss up but I wouldnt trade my machine for anything ya know.
Like I said my buddy went through some nasty stuff on that 300 last night and I was shocked. even when I take my recon out with it only being 2wd it still goes through some pretty rough terain.
Now that being said, and Im by no means trying to bash the 500 class...... What do you guys think the use for a machine this size is? Im just curious, and besides the price difference, why did you guys purchase the 500s? My answer to that is when I went to my buddies shop I was between the rubi and the rincon. My buddy told me stright up "you ant kill that thing" and told me they have alot less problems than the rincon, however I dont see many guys having issues with the rinnys. Another reason is the SRA, I just think it feels more stable when you're under tow, and with low range you have more than enough power to tow and haul just about anything. I got mine for trail riding mostly and work. Little did I know a year later I was buying a house and have really got my moneys worth when it comes to working it!
So what do you guys think, Especially glide cause you have 2 500s???
See less See more
Yeah I almost bought a new wolverine in '04. I always wanted one. Have you seen the new belt-drive ones? Yamaha really screwed up.
Yeah I almost bought a new wolverine in '04. I always wanted one. Have you seen the new belt-drive ones? Yamaha really screwed up.
Get out, what are they trying to be as unreliable as a polaris or is it a different design?
Now that being said, and Im by no means trying to bash the 500 class...... What do you guys think the use for a machine this size is? Im just curious, and besides the price difference, why did you guys purchase the 500s? My answer to that is when I went to my buddies shop I was between the rubi and the rincon. My buddy told me stright up "you ant kill that thing" and told me they have alot less problems than the rincon, however I dont see many guys having issues with the rinnys. Another reason is the SRA, I just think it feels more stable when you're under tow, and with low range you have more than enough power to tow and haul just about anything. I got mine for trail riding mostly and work. Little did I know a year later I was buying a house and have really got my moneys worth when it comes to working it!
So what do you guys think, Especially glide cause you have 2 500s???
I bought my 500 because I wanted a long lasting and strong quad. I hate belt drives and that's what all the other manufacturers are switching to. Gears are good. Hydrostat is good. The day Honda makes a quad with a belt I'm gonna hang myself. Plus I wanted to keep with the swingarm. My inlaws have a couple of new smaller bore IRS grizzlys and every fast turn brings a rear wheel off the ground. :wacko:

I own a "big bore" Arctic Cat and not impressed. Its Ginormus in size. The thing weighs almost 800lbs with the tires and other add-ons and is a total pain to maneuver. Plus its very sluggish (belt) I run trails in low range and its still not half as snappy as my foreman. Only thing I like on the AC is the locking diff. The big bore thing is kinda a horsepower race and it doesn't make much sense to me. Overkill. More HP=stronger driveline=more weight=a need for more HP=more $$$. Endless cycle. No thanks, I'll take a simple Honda.
See less See more
Get out, what are they trying to be as unreliable as a polaris or is it a different design?
They made it a Belt CVT and restyled it. It was my favorite "sporty" utility quad and now its the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
Yea thats the way I see it. I mean honestly granted this rubicon wasnt the cheapest thing, but I cant see dropping 10k on an 850 polaris when I can build a bad a$$ cj7 or even a yj for the same money. That way I have say 300hp, 2ft or more ground clearance, and to top it off ITS STREET LEGAL haha.
i got mine cuz it was offerd to me, wanted a bigger honda and a guy i served with in Iraq was getting devorse and needed the money (he hated seeing it go) so i took it off his hands. loved it it is a happy middle. not to much weight and plenty of power
Here is an example of why I want more HP. My friend was riding a new (2010) Polaris 550 Touring.
When we got into the deeper snow the 550 started running out of power in high so he had
to shift into low range. Once in low range he lost the speed needed for deeper snow.
I have the same issue with mine. That new 550 has more power than my high mileage 500.:angry:

Here I come riding an Outlander 800 Max and just blow right past him in high range. :happy

Other than deep snow I'm happy with my 500. B)

This video is more of a satire than anything. :lol:

550 vs 800 video

Her he is cutting the trail on his 2010 Suzuki 750 King Quad. That will probably be my next ATV unless Honda makes a bigger Rubicon.
See less See more
I bought my 500 because I rode Lisa's Foreman for a year and it did everything we could put it through ( you guys got to remember I'm still learning, I learn fast, but still learning)

and as far as the wolverine.....that is one Bad azz bike it actually went places the Foreman could not.....because of its smaller size!

AND it had a Severely warped frame..like...... / /.....that bad the front wheels were and went anywhere Lisa wanted it to go (I did a frame swap last fall) , shot I couldn't ride that stupid thing down the road and back & Lisa rode it everywhere .....shes one heck of a woman!B)

but I was riding hers and loved it its simple design, drive shafts and not belts, plenty of power for where we have rode so far, although I would like to have a bit more, But only because of my size......what else could one want to trail ride with?
See less See more
Yea I would like more myself too, but that'll come years down the road when i upgrade. as for teh bigbores..... everytime we all go out theres a few 850s a few 800s and some rzrs. One thing I definitely notice is a big downfall for all that power is they run out of gas FAST. If were out for a whole day they're re fueling 4 hours into the ride, where my machine still has 3/4 of a tank.
I feel so small with all this 500 talk...what's a Rubi and a Rinny CC anyway?
rubicon is a true 500cc (a foreman 500 is really a 475cc) rincon (680cc)
Yea I would like more myself too, but that'll come years down the road when i upgrade. as for teh bigbores..... everytime we all go out theres a few 850s a few 800s and some rzrs. One thing I definitely notice is a big downfall for all that power is they run out of gas FAST. If were out for a whole day they're re fueling 4 hours into the ride, where my machine still has 3/4 of a tank.
my outlander 800R only gets 10 miles less per tank than my rubi. they are real good on fuel especially considering they have the bragging rights to the most hp in the big bore class. both my rubi and outlander tanks are within a .25 of a gallon of each other in size.

when I finally broke down and started looking at "other brand" atv's, it wasnt until after I visited my local honda dealer last summer with the intent to buy a new rubi. they had NO NEW RUBICONS and didnt seem interested in trying to find me one. I then visited a dealer about 30 miles away and they had some... but the prices they wanted for them were only 1200 dollars less than I paid for my 800. considering the economic climate last summer I wasnt impressed. the 3 year warranty on the can am atv was also refreshing.

honda really dropped the ball in my eyes last summer. I was ready to buy, and when I couldnt get one at what WAS my dealer of choice, I decided it made more sense to get something different for a second atv. I already had a 2007 Rubi that was a great bike.... and the 2010 rubis are basically identical quads.-
See less See more
61 - 80 of 204 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.