Honda Foreman Forums banner

won't go into gear?

28K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  coppercow 
#1 ·
2001 honda formen es won't go into gear. Was put away fine last week, and now will not shift. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
i would check the wiring dano had a problem on his buddys i think the wire was cut.

#4 ·
A weak battery can do this also, it may have enough juice to start the bike but not enough to make it shift. try rocking it back and forth also, somtimes they get stuck in gear. Can you hear a click like it is trying to shift but just wont or is there nothing at all? there could be dirt in the shift buttons or a wire unplugged.... there is a few things that can happen with the ES, luckily I havent found any major ones myself YET! Does the shift indicator on the dash pod have an N or does it have 2 dashes -- , is anything blinking on the pod? I would start with the basics and try charging the battery if the display is not blinking anything.

#5 ·
2001 honda formen es won't go into gear

I put it away last weekend it worked fine put it was wet out last weekend. I went out sunday it started fine. went to put in in gear nothing. I tired rocking it back in fourth still nothing It doies not make any sound at all. It is like it is not even trying to go into gear. I can drive it around the yard using the emg shift buy my foot. I looked at the plug did not take it out.

Searcher

#6 ·
Please refer to my first sentence, in above post. Also the buttons may have some crud in them, you can take it apart to clean them, but be careful. If neither of those work then it is sensor time. Thats around $70.00 I believe.... Just for the part, you can also replace this yourself. If it is under warranty let the dealer do it for you.

#7 ·

I looked at the buttons nothing that looked bad there. So I took the angle sensor off, did what my hanes book said to do and it looks like it is sensor time. It is not hard to get to.

#8 ·

Hi all Well went and bought a new angle sensor and that did not fix my problem now im out a 100$ So enough is enough. I took all the plastic off the atv and took all the plugs apart still nothing. So into the shop it went 2.5 hr later they took the shift moter apart, water was the problem. Thanks for the info from all.

Searcher

#9 ·
I thought about getting the es, I figured that the water would be a problem with it being electric and all, at least you found out what the problem was.

#10 ·
Re: 2001 honda formen es won't go into gear

QUOTE ("Searcher":2k6gu8ko)
I looked at the buttons nothing that looked bad there. So I took the angle sensor off, did what my hanes book said to do and it looks like it is sensor time. It is not hard to get to.
I know this was a while ago but did you fix it? did the display blink (the gear indicator)? l

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.