Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow these instructions and you should be able to get back to your truck/home without too much trouble after sinking your quad.

Remove the plug from your muffler then tip your wheeler up so it is sitting on it's rear rack, hold it there while the water drains out of your exhaust. Once it stops go ahead and let it down and reinstall your the plug.

Pull the plug underneath your airbox and let the water out. Once it's drained reinstall plug. Don't forget to squeeze our your air filter too.

Open your carb drain and let it drain for a minute or so then close it.

Loosen your engine oil drain bolt then open it slowly until you see water starting to flow while holding the bolt in place. Once you see oil start to come out reinstall the bolt. Let it sit for another 10 minutes then repeat as many times as needed until you no longer see any water coming out.

Now remove your spark plug and pull your starter rope or engage your starter and whatever water is left inside should squirt out. I would engage the starter but only for about 5 seconds at a time. Clean your spark plug and reinstall.

It may take a minute or so for it to fire and once it starts, try giving it some throttle and if it acts like it wants to die, let up on it. Keep doing this and eventually you should be able to give it throttle with no issues.

I also recommend carrying some spare oil but it is not really neccessary if you do the above. Take your time doing it and you should be able to ride your quad back to where you started.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Loosen your engine oil drain bolt then open it slowly until you see water starting to flow while holding the bolt in place. Once you see oil start to come out reinstall the bolt. Let it sit for another 10 minutes then repeat as many times as needed until you no longer see any water coming out.
iv never seen the oil and water separate like its almost always milked

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will seperate if you don't start it up and drive it. I never started it back up once it shut down on me.

I floated my Foreman in a glacial creek and when I say floated, that's exactly what I did, luckily I had friends with me or it would still be in the creek underneath tons of silt. Even my cargo box was full to the top with silty water.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Been there done that, and have the left over part to prove it! LOL

The oil drain plug trick I've never heard of, but I guess if it doesn't get a chance to mix, that would work. I always ended up with mixed oil and water before I got a chance to drain it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If it was muddy water I suggest being pulled out. All the way to the truck. Because the grit can damage cam bearings and main bearings and score the cylinder and ruin rings. If that's the case I I would take the spark plug out. Take the oil drain plug out and pour kerosene or diesel down the spark plug hole. Fill the crank case with diesel too and LEAVE THE SPARK PLUG OUT! LEAVE THE SPARK PLUG OUT! and pull it around in 5th gear or turn it over slowly with the rope. Repeat til you feel its clean. Then fill back with oil and should be good. If it was just water just change your oil and drain the air box

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not real sure what would happen. I mean diesel won't explode like gas but it would burn and god knows I don't wanna be the downfall of a poor guy's wheeler lol

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
iv run mine for 10 secs to cycle the diesel through the crank case and oil cooler never have any probs. diesel has a high flash point so it wont explode. iv never used it to clean the cylinder out though

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you pour fuel, of any kind into a combustion chamber, spark plug in or out, here's the problem with that... You have an ignition source close by "the coil wire" if you don't make dam sure its not going to arc to the head, block, frame, or whatever. When the fuel gets expelled from the engine,,, POOF there goes your bike... SO be real careful if you do that :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Follow these instructions and you should be able to get back to your truck/home without too much trouble after sinking your quad.

Remove the plug from your muffler then tip your wheeler up so it is sitting on it's rear rack, hold it there while the water drains out of your exhaust. Once it stops go ahead and let it down and reinstall your the plug.

Pull the plug underneath your airbox and let the water out. Once it's drained reinstall plug. Don't forget to squeeze our your air filter too.

Open your carb drain and let it drain for a minute or so then close it.

Now remove your spark plug and pull your starter rope or engage your starter and whatever water is left inside should squirt out. I would engage the starter but only for about 5 seconds at a time. Clean your spark plug and reinstall.

It may take a minute or so for it to fire and once it starts, try giving it some throttle and if it acts like it wants to die, let up on it. Keep doing this and eventually you should be able to give it throttle with no issues.

I also recommend carrying some spare oil but it is not really neccessary if you do the above. Take your time doing it and you should be able to ride your quad back to where you started.
This is not about getting "back to where you started." It's about limiting the damage. It's NEVER a good idea to drive your ATV back to the truck once you've gotten water in the oil. No matter how much time you let that water settle, you'll never get it all out by bleeding off the drain. Water will be trapped in crevices all throughout the engine/transmission. Removing the muffler plug should be the least of your worries. Most of the water will drain from the exhaust once you tip it back. When that ATV is swamped, it will draw water through the air filter into the intake and possibly hyrdo-lock the engine. The best thing you can do is clear the intake by draining the air box, pulling the air filter (it will hold the water in if you don't), then tipping it back. Most carbed engines will drain off when you do this (as well as the exhaust). As you've stated, you'll also need to pull the spark plug and crank the engine over to blow out the cylinder. But even if you've done all this, if you've gotten water in the oil, call it a day and get a tow back to the truck. With even small amounts of water in the oil, you will cause premature wear, if not significant damage, to the bearings, cam, etc. before it ever begins smoke. Of course, this is assuming muddy water didn't backwash through the exhaust into the cylinder. If you're lucky, the engine died on the intake or compression stroke. Either way, it's an expensive gamble to take for a ride back to the truck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Call it what you want, makes no difference to me. This method worked perfectly, my wheeler doesn't smoke and it runs as good as the day I bought it. There were no metal pieces in the oil when I drained it and after flushing it twice the oil was as clean as when I poured it into the wheeler. My buddy that was with me did the same thing to his a few years back and he has had no issues nor does it smoke. If you want to tow your wheeler after sinking then knock yourself out but should I sink mine again, I will do the same thing I did this last time and ride it out, especially 27 miles into the backcountry. The key to this is not restarting your motor after it has shutdown, if you do then all bets are off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is not about getting "back to where you started." It's about limiting the damage. It's NEVER a good idea to drive your ATV back to the truck once you've gotten water in the oil. No matter how much time you let that water settle, you'll never get it all out by bleeding off the drain. Water will be trapped in crevices all throughout the engine/transmission. Removing the muffler plug should be the least of your worries. Most of the water will drain from the exhaust once you tip it back. When that ATV is swamped, it will draw water through the air filter into the intake and possibly hyrdo-lock the engine. The best thing you can do is clear the intake by draining the air box, pulling the air filter (it will hold the water in if you don't), then tipping it back. Most carbed engines will drain off when you do this (as well as the exhaust). As you've stated, you'll also need to pull the spark plug and crank the engine over to blow out the cylinder. But even if you've done all this, if you've gotten water in the oil, call it a day and get a tow back to the truck. With even small amounts of water in the oil, you will cause premature wear, if not significant damage, to the bearings, cam, etc. before it ever begins smoke. Of course, this is assuming muddy water didn't backwash through the exhaust into the cylinder. If you're lucky, the engine died on the intake or compression stroke. Either way, it's an expensive gamble to take for a ride back to the truck.
He’s right I’ve sunk many bikes ruined several frome the water dealing with one know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts