Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I am installing my HMF and K&N along with Jet kit. Rather than do the spark plug test I was wanting to use my buddies Wideband O2 sensor to adjust the air to fuel ratio. I figure it would be much easier to adjust quickly in the future and take out alot of the guess work. Only problem is I cannot find the Service manual what the optimal Air to Fuel Ratio? Does anybody know what it is, maybe someone who works at a shop?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
After looking into this a little more I found that ~13:1 is ideal power ratio. 14.7:1 appears to be best ratio for emissions.

Thanks, I learned something this morning.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How in the **** did you find that? I looked all through the service manual and it did not say, then I went to my dealership today and the mechanic said they do it by feel and do not use a Wideband O2 sensor. That is awesome!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a link the the stainless steel bung I will be ordering. I think with the wideband 02 sensor and being able to re-adjust the AFR in the future will be well for the $8.

<a href="http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php" target="_blank">http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php? ... =140000099</a>

Also, here is a link to the D shaped tool to help you adjust the AFR.

<a href="http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0242/" target="_blank">http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0242/</a>

·
Registered
339 Posts
QUOTE ("Eric":28yg4nqv)
After looking into this a little more I found that ~13:1 is ideal power ratio. 14.7:1 appears to be best ratio for emissions.

Thanks, I learned something this morning.
Correct! All Gasoline engines work that way at those ratios. Some boosted engines will be safer in the 12.5 to 12:1 ratios, but otherwise a gas engine is a gas engine be it in a car or a MC. You won't find this in any Owners manuals, this is just common Tuner knowledge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What does the stainless steel bung do?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does the stainless steel bung do?
This is welded to the pipe and provides a hole or "bung" inwhich a wideband 02 sensor maybe screwed into, allowing an reading showing AFR. Thus taking out the guess work of where you are at in regards to AFR. The advantage of it being Stainless is that it should not rust shut from riding thru mud and water, allowing me to us the bung again and adjust AFR.

Where did your buddy get a wideband? Know what kind it is? Widebands aren't cheap... but I would still like to have one."
He actually has two of them. He got them both from the website I mentioned above. www.urdusa.com One he bought when he put a turbo on his Tacoma. The second one he got in a kit when he bought a turbo for his 4Runner, he didn't realize it came in the kit. His 4Runner has had alittle work, it will run low 12's in the quarter with 33's on it. I knew we tuned his 4Runner to 12.3 because it was boosted, but I just was not sure what the number was that applied to ATV, or more specifically my Foreman.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have always been concerned about using a bung in the small pipe of an ATV. The bung itself wouldn't be an issue, but once you thread the wide band senor into it it will protrude inside the small pipe. On a car with a 2" or more pipe the size of the sensor does really obstruct the exhaust flow. But I feel on a small ATV/MC pipe it will black at least 20-30% of the inner diameter and therefore reduce exhaust flow.

Then you will be tuning the ATV with a reduced airflow and after you remove the sensor your flow will change and you tune will also.

A suggestion is to use the Exhaust pipe sensor adapters, while they will also reduce flow it is minimal because it will be at the typical 2" opening of the performance exhaust.

I use an Innovate LM-1 Wide band system and the Innovate Venturi Exhaust clamp, see photo. Your existing Wide Band sensor will thread right into it. Simple, no welding, drilling etc and less exhaust restriction during tuning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have always been concerned about using a bung in the small pipe of an ATV. The bung itself wouldn't be an issue, but once you thread the wide band senor into it it will protrude inside the small pipe. On a car with a 2" or more pipe the size of the sensor does really obstruct the exhaust flow. But I feel on a small ATV/MC pipe it will black at least 20-30% of the inner diameter and therefore reduce exhaust flow.

Then you will be tuning the ATV with a reduced airflow and after you remove the sensor your flow will change and you tune will also.

A suggestion is to use the Exhaust pipe sensor adapters, while they will also reduce flow it is minimal because it will be at the typical 2" opening of the performance exhaust.

I use an Innovate LM-1 Wide band system and the Innovate Venturi Exhaust clamp, see photo. Your existing Wide Band sensor will thread right into it. Simple, no welding, drilling etc and less exhaust restriction during tuning.
I have the power commander auto tune in my pipe right now, it probably sticks into the exhaust 1/2in at best, its not gonna limit your exhaust flow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.