Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding about two months ago when i herd something brake, the engine died and locked up invested it and the valve broke in half and fell into the cylinder. Q is why did the valve brake

·
Registered
304 Posts
My first thoughts are lack of lubrication or overheating due to running to lean. Give us some more information. What's the make/model of the machine? How many hours is on it? How do you primarily use it? Do you have any modifications?

Also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its an 06 foreman es i bought it form a guy i went to Iraq with back in april i had to clean the carb out do to it sitting for 10 month with out being ran also i give it **** in the mud so could be from high rpms

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would doubt it would be from high rpm's only. However, if the carb is out of adjustment or just not completely clean it could have run lean for a period of time until failure. The motor can heat up excessively if its running lean.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and its the exhaust valve it made a slite tick but all the forums i read say that the 05 06 foremans made engine noise so i ignored the noise

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks ill get the carb checked out i dont want it to happen again cost me 800 dollars to get it fixed

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah thats a lot. Don't just take my word for it though, I'm sure some other, more experienced people will chime in later. That's just my first thought, given the symptoms you've described.

·
Registered
588 Posts
could have been way out of adjustment or just a flaw in the metal

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im thinking it may have been a defect in the head/valve the timing isnt off ill find out if the ticking was the valve when the new head comes in i was just trying to see what might have caused it i like to ride and my bikes been down for a bit plus cost thanks again for the help

·
Registered
742 Posts
You didn't change the oil and put the oil filter in backwards, did you? One of my buddies put his oil filter in backwards and it ran for about a month with a tick and it finally dropped a valve. I repaired it for him and found the oil filter backwards.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dont think i did depends on how much i had to drink when i was working on it lol i didnt see any burnt oil on the top end ill check tomorrow after work i have never seen a valve brake before

·
Registered
304 Posts
Can the oil filter on an 06 Foreman be installed backwards? I thought that was only with the older models. I have a Rubicon so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Can the oil filter on an 06 Foreman be installed backwards? I thought that was only with the older models. I have a Rubicon so I'm not sure.
Yeah, I didn't think about that. The one I was talking about was on a Fourtrax 300.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The aftermarket filters can be installed backwards, even the Honda filter can be but it will take a lot of force. The Foreman still uses the same filter as the 300 but Honda built lips on the filters so they are very hard to install backwards on the newer machines. The aftermarket filters I've been around do not have these lips built onto the filter so they can be installed backwards easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You didn't change the oil and put the oil filter in backwards, did you? One of my buddies put his oil filter in backwards and it ran for about a month with a tick and it finally dropped a valve. I repaired it for him and found the oil filter backwards.
Any chance you could PM me? I have a few questions that you would probably be able to answer. I’m a newer owner of a Honda Rancher

1 - 16 of 16 Posts