Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: Hondaforeman.com & Duke70 is not responsible for any damage caused to you or your bike.

Valve adjustment procedures TRX 400 & 450 all

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both Valves and Determining compression stroke?

Hiya,

Looking to make this check/adjustment on a 2001 foreman 450s. From the diagrams, it only shows adjusting one valve. Do you adjust both to the same specs from TDC?

Also, how do I tell I am on a compression stroke when I go to set the motor to TDC?

Thanks much!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Good post.......!

·
Registered
8 Posts
checked 450 es eng. for spark with starter button engaged turning eng. over there is no spark at plug. when starter button is released and u have the few free spins of the eng. spark plug sparks for those few spins but with starter engaged no spark !!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I adjusted my valves this past Friday and it wasn't too terribly difficult. The only issue I had was finding the "t" mark on the flywheel. There are several other marks that I found at first that I thought were the correct marks, they weren't and I adjusted the valves where the gap was too much. I turned the flywheel again and finally found the "t" mark and was able to adjust them to the proper gap.

I dreaded using my pull start to run the fly wheel fearing that it might not recoil back in, luckily I had sealed it and it recoiled back in with a little help. If you put some high temp rtv around the opening where the handle goes in you will keep 99% of the mud/water out of your recoil housing.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
I adjusted my valves this past Friday and it wasn't too terribly difficult. The only issue I had was finding the "t" mark on the flywheel. There are several other marks that I found at first that I thought were the correct marks, they weren't and I adjusted the valves where the gap was too much. I turned the flywheel again and finally found the "t" mark and was able to adjust them to the proper gap.

I dreaded using my pull start to run the fly wheel fearing that it might not recoil back in, luckily I had sealed it and it recoiled back in with a little help. If you put some high temp rtv around the opening where the handle goes in you will keep 99% of the mud/water out of your recoil housing.
next time try putting it in 5th gear and rotating the rear wheel....worked for me better than the Zip cord!

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Somebody better ban this guy.
Dog runner good eye!

as a member you can help keep BOTS & Spammers off the Board by clicking this button in THEIR posts
type in whats going on and sent it to the Admins & then posting you reported it so the Admins don't get eat up with emails from the rest of us.

BTW: I did report this one, so no need in double dipping! :lol:

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
would it be a good idea to replace the cover gasket??????? its twenty flippin bucks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys, I am going to adjust my valves tomorrow after i'm back from riding in the evening, I was just wondering, If i make a mistake for some reason (i have a manual and it seems pretty straight forward) , Could i cause any serious damage to my engine? I have a Foreman 400 and I assume it's the identical procedure to the 450, Clearance on both intake and exhaust should be .006 correct? Thanks .

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
yes the 450 and the 400 are the same ......1 bit of advice ...after you adjust the valves give the pull rope a few pulls to cycle the motor a few times and then bring the mark back up and recheck your clearences again ...(it may take a few times to get it adjusted right )..do this with the spark plug out and dont forget to put dielectric grease in the boot if you mud ride !!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great advice, .. and yep, dielectric grease is the greatest thing since sliced bread..... i spend my fair share of time in the mud, but then again, Don't we all? :lol: ....Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Hey guys, I am going to adjust my valves tomorrow after i'm back from riding in the evening, I was just wondering, If i make a mistake for some reason (i have a manual and it seems pretty straight forward) , Could i cause any serious damage to my engine? I have a Foreman 400 and I assume it's the identical procedure to the 450, Clearance on both intake and exhaust should be .006 correct? Thanks .
Not saying not to do it, but valve adjustments are like revenge, ....both are best served up Cold! :lol: in short metal Expands when heated, Retracts when cooled....So you "should" make a better adjustment W/engine setting over night, and doing what rich said about turning over the engine after makes a lot of sense also!

although I feel I can get a better adjustment by putting the bike in 5th Gear and lifting the rear tires off the ground and rotating the Rear tires, not using the pull start rope at all. ........but it's a (personal preference) either way is fine!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Thought about asking that question

·
Registered
369 Posts
although I feel I can get a better adjustment by putting the bike in 5th Gear and lifting the rear tires off the ground and rotating the Rear tires, not using the pull start rope at all. ........but it's a (personal preference) either way is fine!
That's the only way I can do it. My 2012 Foreman doesn't have a recoil starter. So I have to put it in 5th and rotate the rear tires. Either way works, but some of us don't have as many options. :happy

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
im gonna take mine to the shop to get the valves adjusted its only 50 bucks
I did that with mine, but just noticed today oil is leaking from the top! I suspect it's the cover gasket. So going to do the job myself and replace the gasket, will also check the Clarence again and think I'll replace that small 0 ring too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts