Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This recon has me beat , i have replaced the battery , replaced the ecu with a NIB one from ebay i replaced the wire harness and shift angle sensor. From all of my testing , the indicators all work , the shift motor is motor is good . Right now it starts up and no fault code , once i try and shift obviously it sees a signal the shift motor doesnt do anything and then the fault light starts blinking. i can hook a 6v battery to the shift motor and it shift the motor through the gears there any reason i couldnt hook the shift switches up to a relay or 2 and just bypass part of the ecu ? Has anyone tried this or had any luck wiring it seperately? I am open to any ideas , but right now the only thing coming to mind is 2 relays and possibly an old coil resitor to step the voltage down .

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum !
did you make sure the the shift buttons (on the left bar ) are clean and working right ?
did you check all the fuesses ?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
welcome to the forum. i have no idea of what you're trying to accomplish or why. you seem to have more electrical knowledge than myself, so, i will let one of the other members assist you. good luck, and welcome, again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome to the forum !
did you make sure the the shift buttons (on the left bar ) are clean and working right ?
did you check all the fuesses ?
I cleaned all of the connections i believe the switches are working since it doesnt show a fault untill i hit a switch it seems to me that it sees i hit a switch and the motor doesnt doesnt turn but it only notices the angle sensor doesnt change and it comes up with an angle sensor code

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I take it will shift through the gears fine manually? The other harness came off of a good working machine?

As to your question I have never done it and don't recommend it. Doing it that way there is no way to tell the shift motor when the shift is complete and it's going to put added stress on the mechanical side of the shifting components. Now that the disclaimer is out there if I was to do it I would use a contactor and mini rocker switch from a winch. Wire it up just like you would on a winch (since they both are just turning an electric motor). Of course you would use lighter gauge wires than on a winch but you should have an idea of where I'm coming from. Shift up (winch out), shift down (winch in) type of deal. You can buy a contactor kit with wiring from Venom winches for around $30. Again I don't recommend it... it might work for a day or years but eventually mechanical problems are going to show up.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it will shift through the gears fine manually? The other harness came off of a good working machine?

As to your question I have never done it and don't recommend it. Doing it that way there is no way to tell the shift motor when the shift is complete and it's going to put added stress on the mechanical side of the shifting components. Now that the disclaimer is out there if I was to do it I would use a contactor and mini rocker switch from a winch. Wire it up just like you would on a winch (since they both are just turning an electric motor). Of course you would use lighter gauge wires than on a winch but you should have an idea of where I'm coming from. Shift up (winch out), shift down (winch in) type of deal. You can buy a contactor kit with wiring from Venom winches for around $30. Again I don't recommend it... it might work for a day or years but eventually mechanical problems are going to show up.

Welcome to the forum.
The harness was also from ebay supposed to come off a working machine , but it made no change when i installed it so i assume its good i havent been able to trace any broken wires . With everything hooked up but the motor yes it shifted through all the gears running by momentarily connecting the shift motor to a battery. I Am thinking i can wire it up with 2 relays using the original switches and just having the switches power up a relay to turn the motor one way or the other.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think TooDeep nailed it, would it work yes, will it work next year however hard to say.
Unplug the Control and check for continutiy across the wires when hitting the switches, These can go bad fairly easy especially if stored outside or submerged (based on what mine looked like when i replaced it on my rubicon).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think TooDeep nailed it, would it work yes, will it work next year however hard to say.
Unplug the Control and check for continutiy across the wires when hitting the switches, These can go bad fairly easy especially if stored outside or submerged (based on what mine looked like when i replaced it on my rubicon).
I guess i can do that , they looked ok when i took them apart and they must be doing something since as soon as i hit them it causes the angle sensor code to come back (angle sensor is new :angry:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you haven't already grabbed the repair manual search on here and you will find it, not sure if the recon has it but my rubicon has to do a relearn process when you swap the ECM you may need to do that procedure as well.
The up and down switches could be shorting together even so when you hit it it hit both throwing an error, definetly worth investigating, again search for the manual for that recon on here and look at the wiring to know the exact wires to check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you haven't already grabbed the repair manual search on here and you will find it, not sure if the recon has it but my rubicon has to do a relearn process when you swap the ECM you may need to do that procedure as well.
The up and down switches could be shorting together even so when you hit it it hit both throwing an error, definetly worth investigating, again search for the manual for that recon on here and look at the wiring to know the exact wires to check.
I have the manual already i'll do some more checking tommorow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Answered my question and Solved the problem

To answer my own Question yes it can be done very easily the only thing you have to do is cut the wire that feeds the switch and hook it to ground . The only problem with the setup using relays is that the 1st gear indicator doesnt light up.

But i found the problem in the process The whole **** problem is in the back of the bike near the fuse. I hooked the realys up getting power where the ecu would get power and the realys were working intermittenly and were just buzzing when they didnt work i put power to them with my power probe and then they worked finally i ran a new wire to the battery and and the relays worked great , then i unhooked my relays and used my new wire to power the ECU and it all works correctly . Many hours and a few hundred in parts and now the i know the system like the back of my hand. :happy

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
That is cool you got it working and talk about a learning experience. If I have troubles with my kids es Im going to hook up with you. Sounds like you know a heck of a lot more than me about the es systems lol. Enjoy and merry christmas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is cool you got it working and talk about a learning experience. If I have troubles with my kids es Im going to hook up with you. Sounds like you know a heck of a lot more than me about the es systems lol. Enjoy and merry christmas.
No problem , it's really easy the shift motor for the most part works just like a window motor or door lock actuator . If you are ever stuck somewhere and have 2 wires , you can run the shift motor off of the battery if it goes the wrong way reverse the wires

·
Registered
1 Posts
Answered my question and Solved the problem

To answer my own Question yes it can be done very easily the only thing you have to do is cut the wire that feeds the switch and hook it to ground . The only problem with the setup using relays is that the 1st gear indicator doesnt light up.

But i found the problem in the process The whole **** problem is in the back of the bike near the fuse. I hooked the realys up getting power where the ecu would get power and the realys were working intermittenly and were just buzzing when they didnt work i put power to them with my power probe and then they worked finally i ran a new wire to the battery and and the relays worked great , then i unhooked my relays and used my new wire to power the ECU and it all works correctly . Many hours and a few hundred in parts and now the i know the system like the back of my hand. :happy
do you know what color the wire is you are referencing? I have the exact same issue. New shift motor, new angle sensor, new switch assembly. Manual shift works fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts