Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this online, it should come in handy for those who want to learn what to look for & how to buy aftermarket or stock, Tires & Rims.

ATV tire & Rim measurements:

ATV tires are commonly measured by Height x Width x Inner Wheel Diameter (HxWxID) in inches.

• Term definitions:
  • Radial: Construction utilizes body ply cords that extend diagonally from bead to bead, usually at angles that range from 30 to 40 degrees. Plies are laid at opposing angles that form a crisscross pattern. Advantages: Allows entire tire body to flex which provides a smooth ride on rough surfaces. Disadvantages: Increased rolling resistance and less traction at higher speeds.
  • Biased: Layers of ply cords extending to the beads of the tire are laid at approximately right angles to the direction of travel. Advantages: Longer tread life, better steering control, lower rolling resistance. Disadvantages: Stiffer ride at low speeds on rough roads. Lower grip ability at low speeds.
ATV Wheel sizing and Offset

To determine the diameter of a wheel: Measure the width of the bead area of the wheel (not the outer rim). In the diagram above, the diameter measures 12 inches.
To determine the offset and width of a wheel: Measure from the center weld to the center of the tire bead area on both sides of the wheel. The outer measurement will be the one with the valve stem. The offset of a wheel is stated by reading the measurement of the inside first, then the measurement of the outside (valve stem side). For example: In the diagram above, the offset is 5+2; meaning the inside half of the wheel measured 5 inches, and the outside (valve stem side) measured 2 inches. Add these 2 numbers together to find the total width of the rim (7 inches).
Note: If the rim has a tire on it, usually the tire will have the rim diameter imprinted on it (8", 9", 10"...). You can also measure the rim from inside using the diagram above and getting the measurements as close as possible.

I found this online it should come in handy for those who want to learn how to buy aftermarket or stock tires & Rims

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im looking at some black mambas now the ones im looking at are 27x10-12. the tires i have now the fronts are 26x10-12 and the backs are 26x12-12. to get the black mambas will i have to change rims or what any help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Im looking at some black mambas now the ones im looking at are 27x10-12. the tires i have now the fronts are 26x10-12 and the backs are 26x12-12. to get the black mambas will i have to change rims or what any help is greatly appreciated
No, a 7" rim will handle 12" wide tires with no problems.

However, alot of guys on here including myself would tell you to stay away from the mambas unless you have a pretty big gear reduction. They are extremely heavy!

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, a 7" rim will handle 12" wide tires with no problems.

However, alot of guys on here including myself would tell you to stay away from the mambas unless you have a pretty big gear reduction. They are extremely heavy!

<<<<<what he said

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does anyone know where to find stock Honda rim sizes? I forgot to check what size rims the wifes 2004 Foreman 450 have and I am already at work haha.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know where to find stock Honda rim sizes? I forgot to check what size rims the wifes 2004 Foreman 450 have and I am already at work haha.
Tires
25X8X12 -Front
25X10X12 -Rear

Rims
12X 6.0 AT
12X 7.5 AT

Sorry you asked for Rim size not tire....LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 500 foreman, I recently put 29.5" terminators on it well since then i have put 3 u joints in the bike, can anyone tell me why? Don't get me wrong I don't want to sound dumb I know the tires are big but the bike turns them over great I can burn them down on asphalt.. I'm just curious on why it keep poping u joints... any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
17,872 Posts
because the u-joint wasn't designed to take the abuse you are throwing at it .......throw a gear reduction in it and that might help .......them terms are heavy man

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
I have a 2007 500 foreman, I recently put 29.5" terminators on it well since then i have put 3 u joints in the bike, can anyone tell me why? Don't get me wrong I don't want to sound dumb I know the tires are big but the bike turns them over great I can burn them down on asphalt.. I'm just curious on why it keep poping u joints... any help is greatly appreciated!

Just guessing you have a lift on it? That will put it at an angle that they don't like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perfect thread for a few questions I have. I'm new to ATV's, and recently bought a 2015 TRX500FE2 (solid rear axle Foreman ES PS). I live in Colorado where I ride a lot of sharp rocks, snow (including plowing the driveway), and mud is frequently encountered but wallowing in swamps isn't my thing; the quad is a work and hunting machine, not a sport rider.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock tires with Maxxis Zillas (to be determined, brand or tread choice is not the focus of my questions). With that tire in mind, I'm thinking of going up to the 26's. The 26's have significantly more tread depth than 25's (38/32's vs 23/32's) and obviously provide a bit more ground clearance.

1) Would the 26" Zilla be compatible with stock rims? Maxxis website lists 26" fronts as AT26x9-12 and 26" rears as AT26x11-12 vs 25" fronts are AT25x8-12 and 25" rears are AT25x10-12. I see no need to upgrade the factory wheels unless I must.

2) Will the power loss of the larger tire be noticeable?

Thanks in advance for the experienced input!

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
They will fit fine on the stock wheels. Zillas run a little short but even if they was true to size you shouldn't notice much power loss if any. As long as your searching tires take a look at bearclaw htr. 8ply radials that get good traction in everything and so far are wearing good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts