Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback from anyone here running an actual 27"(measured circumference) tire on a 500 footshift setup. Ive read alot posts about people whos tires say theyre 27s but theyre measuring short(boggles my mind why a tire company would do that) . Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I have 27" Mudbugs on an 09 500 footshift. Pulls them fine, but they're very light tires. They measure true.

I have 27" Executioners on an identical 09 500. They run a bit shorter, but the machine has more trouble with them due to their weight (heavy tires).

I have 28's Mudbugs on another identical 500, and the bike struggles with them in the thick stuff if I get out of 1 gear. I plan on doing a GR for this one.

So to answer your question, if you want to run 27's with no GR, get a zilla or Mudbug or other lightweight tire. If you want to run a heavy tire like an Outlaw or an Executioner I would stick with 26's.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
simple name of the game in larger tires is, your altering the stock gear ratio's by going taller, add in weight and things get even more taxed
AS I say this before, does ANYONE think there HONDA has too much HP in stock trim??
I don't

SO< NOW go taller tires, this all comes down to HOW Much power loss your OK with, and its a personal deal .
what one might think is OK, another might not
HOW you use your atv and where, matters too
you didn;t say how or why here, so, its a open question of sorts

but there is NO way about it, a taller heavier tire will loose power on your atv period!

as for why do tire makers NOT be true to the size of the tire readings
its rather simple
its COSTS and design factors IMO
think about it, if they sell you a smaller tire, claimed to be lager, there is less material in it, they make more $$
its also on a tire that is NOT designed for any speed really and or any major DOT regulations or such
so they can get away with it, as long as people keep buying them as is!
they got no reason to be more accurate, and its NOT that un common, its maybe harder to find them that are true to size than are not?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts