Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2004 Foreman Rubicon that sputters with the throttle a little above half through full throttle. Doesn’t matter what gear it’s in, R, N, low, d1... any of them. I rebuilt the carb, new spark, fuel is flowing great, no air box leaks, mixture screw set right (as much as I could get the high end right) - as far as I can tell, everything going into the piston is good.

I had this problem start last fall, ‘18, but kept using it through the winter season. It’s a ranch quad used mostly for spraying. 414 miles on it with 215 hours The code reader showed ecm fail safe relay, so I took all the connectors off and cleaned them out.

I’ve spent too much time trying to figure this out on my own and several hours of looking this up online. It seems to be not too uncommon, but I couldn’t find a solution. Any help? The only thing I haven’t checked is the resistance to the coil.

It almost sounds like it has the same governor as my 99 f-250 that sputters at 99mph. Good news is I don’t need the high rpms to spray and pull a small trailer. I want it running right though. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moved the needle clip up one so it sits lower. Problem solved. Didn’t realize it could be that easy. Used a hex head to 1/4-1/2 turn the white plastic needle holder out of the vacuum sleeve because the Phillips was stripping. Now she runs without any power loss or sputter all the way to wide open.

After I had it running well and was using it for about 30 minutes, the overflow was leaking. Petcock in off position still had a little fuel coming out of the line. That thing is clogged too?
Took the carb apart again and sure enough, some little bs stuck on the float valve. My buddy has an ultrasonic cleaner so I threw the carb in and it came out so shiny. I noticed the little filter right at the fuel input was disintegrated. Made me think of the petcock...

So I took that off the tank, and sure enough, the filter on the petcock was gone. Completely shredded. Cleaned the tank and replaced the petcock with an oem and an inline filter on with some new fuel line. Now she’s running like a champ. I learned to really try to keep all the fuel drained from the tank with this great ethanol fuel we have.

I also replaced the carb primer pump with a $10 Amazon one. It was sticking and not pumping, not that I ever had to use it, but with all the issues, I didn’t want any of the old diaphragm coming apart and clogging something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts