Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I've got a 1998 Honda TRX450ES Foreman that is giving me headaches. I just got done rebuilding the transmission (had some gear slippage issues), and got it all put back together. Had it all ready to go, was getting excited to finally have my machine back, and guess what? No spark. At first there would be no spark while cranking, and one weak spark as soon as I let go of the starter button. Now there's no spark at all. I've replaced the coil and the ignition pulse generator. (I hate to throw parts at a problem, but they were cheap parts). I have the Clymer manual with all the info, including wiring diagrams, so I've been tracing wires like crazy, checking continuity, power, ground, the whole 9 yards. So far all I found were a couple of frayed wires by the fuse box, but they ohm out ok, and they're not grounding on anything. I'll fix that before long, but I'm sure that's not the problem. Any ideas? Even general ideas on how I can narrow it down? I can't believe that I just got done doing something as complex as a transmission rebuild, and now a simple no spark has me stumped, but here we are... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your voltage regulator. I have a 97 Forman 400 did the same thing. No spark while cranking, when you lift of the button it sparked. The cdi ignition taps energy from the alternator coil to increase the spark. If the regulator is bad the ignition won't work correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I've tested the regulator harness (power, ground, and stator coils), but my book doesn't tell how to test the regulator itself. Do you have a procedure? Otherwise I'll just grab a new one from eBay, but I like to know for sure before I throw parts at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the input! I've tested the regulator harness (power, ground, and stator coils), but my book doesn't tell how to test the regulator itself. Do you have a procedure? Otherwise I'll just grab a new one from eBay, but I like to know for sure before I throw parts at it.
Did you every get this problem solved ? I have almost the same problem with my 98 four man 450ES and joined the four to see if I could find any help with my problem. Thanks D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you every get this problem solved ? I have almost the same problem with my 98 four man 450ES and joined the four to see if I could find any help with my problem. Thanks D
Yes I did. Ended up being the voltage regulator. Seems like that's a fairly rare issue, but that's what mine was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I did. Ended up being the voltage regulator. Seems like that's a fairly rare issue, but that's what mine was.
Thank You !! I did some more reading on some other post and that seams to be a problem with these ATV's. I think this is my problem as well. I am going to go by the Honda Shop tomorrow and pick one up. Thanks agin for the reply. I will post my findings when I fix it. D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank You !! I did some more reading on some other post and that seams to be a problem with these ATV's. I think this is my problem as well. I am going to go by the Honda Shop tomorrow and pick one up. Thanks agin for the reply. I will post my findings when I fix it. D
Bohemian Engineer
Thanks for the help a few weeks ago. I had to order the Voltage Regulator for my fourman, but it did fix my problem. It was music to my ears when it started it up last night. I rode it for about an hour today and it ran great. Thanks Again Big D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts