Honda Foreman Forums banner

tired of breaking down pleas help!

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  dirtyrider6104 
#1 ·
i have a 2005 foreman 2X4 and i have allready broke the output shaft and universal joint on my bike twice in the past 2 months the first time with the stock tires and now i have 27X12X12 executioners on it i was wondering if any one knew of stronger parts i could install in my bike to keep it from breaking? iv herd that you can put foreman 450 parts in it and they are stronger. is this true? if it is do i have to modify my bike to use them or do they just fit? please help!

#2 ·
i broke 2 on mine when i had the 2x4 and finally honda put a beefier shaft on it and it hasn't broke since. that bike is running 27" mudlites and doing fine. i think it was bad parts that they put on that series of bikes.

#3 ·
If you put that big and heavy of a tire on a 2wd you should expect to break things. I'm guessing when you broke it when it was stock you thought it was a 4x4 with big tires and tryed to go where the big boys were going???

#4 ·
the way i saw it when i put them on my 2x4.....is if the bike couldn't handle it then honda shouldn't sell them to me when they knew what i was putting them on.....thats why they covered it under warranty both times......but they did say that they were having alot of the same problems with that happening on the 500 2x4 so honda beefed up the output shaft

#5 ·
It isnt just the 2x4 that are haveing this problem alot of people are breaking them on the 4x4's also and yes the 450 u joint will fit on the 500 with no modification also the 2x4 should have no problem with 27 inch tires it makes no sense to say that it would have more strain on this part then a 4x4 bike.........I am always in 2wd until i need 4wd

#6 ·
QUOTE ("big_daddy_bigfoot":327osayd)
If you put that big and heavy of a tire on a 2wd you should expect to break things. I'm guessing when you broke it when it was stock you thought it was a 4x4 with big tires and tryed to go where the big boys were going???
Why should you expect to break things? There is absolutely no way in h*ll that bike should be breaking u-joints. I don't care where you are trying to go. I don't expect to be breaking U-joints. Being two wheel drive is absolutely inapplicable.

#7 ·
I agree there is a chance for any bike out there to break a ujoint at anytime

#8 ·
According to ServiceHonda.com the 450 and 500 use the identical U Joint, part numbers are the same. I would be willing to bet the orginal U Joints that came from the factory on a 450 are stronger then the ones you can get today, they are probably manufactured differently or cheaper today as opposed to what came on the 450.

#9 ·
You know what they say... " They don't make things like they used too ".... If that aint the gods honest truth...

#10 ·
QUOTE ("dirtyrider6104":3iofyauo)
It isnt just the 2x4 that are haveing this problem alot of people are breaking them on the 4x4's also and yes the 450 u joint will fit on the 500 with no modification also the 2x4 should have no problem with 27 inch tires it makes no sense to say that it would have more strain on this part then a 4x4 bike.........I am always in 2wd until i need 4wd
right on!!

#11 ·
QUOTE ("Eric":3hwl4q5i)
QUOTE ("big_daddy_bigfoot":3hwl4q5i)
Why should you expect to break things? There is absolutely no way in h*ll that bike should be breaking u-joints. I don't care where you are trying to go. I don't expect to be breaking U-joints. Being two wheel drive is absolutely inapplicable.
[/quote]

Sorry eric I live in the real world and I expect to break things! If you use them in the mud, rock crawling etc they BREAK STUFF! Add the stress and strain of big heavy tires and lift kits and they break more stuff. And yes after reading about all the problems about the 500's ujoints I EXPECT to break one or two. Do I think this should happen? No. Is it right it happens? No, but it does so I expect it to. If you just ride trails and stay out of the mud and off the rocks you can be grumpy about breaking things, ujoints or whatever. Have a great day!

#12 ·
QUOTE ("dirtyrider6104":37ymlbh8)

I feel like arguing tonight ... I agree there is a chance for any bike out there to break a ujoint at anytime!

The ujoint is the weakest part of the driveshaft is it not? If you put more weight on the driveline the weakest part has a greater chance of breaking.

#13 ·
Okay let me get this straight you are saying that going up in tire size on a 2x4 makes a strain on the ujoint? Okay yes you are correct it will put more strain on it because the resistance is going to be more and the weight but it is a 500 the same exact bike as you ride it has the same frame and everything the only differance is there is no front drive shaft and front differential and axels in the front...........therefore it is the same ujoint that you run in the back so if it will hurt the 2x4 then it will do the same exact thing to a 4x4 by putting 27's on it and i personally have 27's on mine and 28's in the front and have yet to break a rear ujoint.........If you ask me i think that it would make more sence for a 2x4 bike to break a rear ujoint then a 4x4 because you are putting all the power of the motor to two wheels instead of 4

#14 ·
QUOTE ("big_daddy_bigfoot":143tr6j0)
QUOTE ("Eric":143tr6j0)
QUOTE ("big_daddy_bigfoot":143tr6j0)
And yes after reading about all the problems about the 500's ujoints I EXPECT to break one or two. Do I think this should happen? No. Is it right it happens? No, but it does so I expect it to.
[/quote][/quote]

I do think it makes a big difference to go up one tire size from stock to a MUD tire. My 26x12x12 gator weighs 3 times more than my stock 25x10x12. Now put 2 on That's alot if you ask me. Yes I know my 500 is the same but has 4x4 but when I'm in the mud and it starts to get harry I put it in 4wheel chew and take some of the strain off the back. He cant do that he just keeps putting it on the back.

#15 ·
QUOTE ("dirtyrider6104":1vphbhw3)
If you ask me i think that it would make more sence for a 2x4 bike to break a rear ujoint then a 4x4 because you are putting all the power of the motor to two wheels instead of 4
That's what I'm saying so why are you arguing with me?

#16 ·
alright glad that we got that settled anyways sorry lenoxcrew that you are haveing this problem go with a 450 ujoint and you will have less of a problem they are about 45 dollars

#18 ·
WOW.......Hey...How bout them Bucks,, Anyone see the game? Ha Ha Ha

#20 ·
QUOTE ("dirtyrider6104":1axhhs3e)
alright glad that we got that settled anyways sorry lenoxcrew that you are haveing this problem go with a 450 ujoint and you will have less of a problem they are about 45 dollars
were can i find an actual 450 u joint? the honda shop told me that they couldnt gett an old 450 u joint they only have 500 u joints now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.