Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts? Comments?

I ride a combination of trails...mostly mud and hard pack...some sand. I'm looking to replace the stock tires on my 2006 rubicon with something more aggressive. Will I need a lift to run these?

27-9-12 ITP 589MS - Front

27-11-12 ITP 589MS - Rear

Any guidance ya'll can provide would be appreciated. I've searched and searched within this forum for possible combinations and have found myself more confused than when I started. There seems to be endless combinations people run. I would like to have a smaller front tire in whatever setup I decide on as I think the handling of the bike is best this way. Lastly, if you have the set up I'm pondering, would love to see your pics. Thanks,

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am runnin 27x9x12 front and 27x12x12 rear. I do not have a lift but I did have to trim my fender some because the rears rubbed a little. I have no trouble turning them. Oh my tires are mudlights if you wondering.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, are your wheels smaller, larger, or same size as stockers? I will be mounting the new tires on stock wheels. BTW...nice ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, are your wheels smaller, larger, or same size as stockers? I will be mounting the new tires on stock wheels. BTW...nice ride.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If your talking about the tire size yes they are bigger. I belive the tires they put on the rubi's are 25". As far as rim sizes they are the same. Didnt change my rim size just got shinny ones!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mud lites are good in mud and hard pack. They will dig in soft sand and really slow ya down, but I like-um!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I notice that you have 26's and a 2 inch lift. Will I be alright with 27's and no lift or should I reconsider? I was hoping to avoid installing a lift on my atv. Thanks,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are the mud lites preferred over the 589's? If so, why? It appears as though the lug pattern is virtually the same. Thanks again,

·
Registered
233 Posts
The lugs are very different. The 589's are rough at slow speeds on hard ground and real bad at getting stuck in soft dry sand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty...you're making me strongly consider the mud lite now. What about the new Mud Lite XTR? It's supposed to be a combination of the 589 and Mud Lite...supposed to be the best riding trail/mud tire...yada, yada, yada. At least, that's what the reviews on them had to say. Anyone out there auditioned these tires? Suggestions? Again, I'll be putting these on stock wheels and don't plan on installing a lift. I ride a combination of hard pack, mud, and sand. Sizing I was thinking for XTR are:

27-9-12 (front)
27-11-12 (rear)

Sizing correct? Too big without lift? Suggestions? Thanks,

·
Registered
81 Posts
no not to much tire on my 05 which is same body style i ran 27" outlaws with out lift had to put in to get the 28" under it though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE ("DallasCon":yrae8w9x)
Alrighty...you're making me strongly consider the mud lite now. What about the new Mud Lite XTR? It's supposed to be a combination of the 589 and Mud Lite...supposed to be the best riding trail/mud tire...yada, yada, yada. At least, that's what the reviews on them had to say. Anyone out there auditioned these tires? Suggestions? Again, I'll be putting these on stock wheels and don't plan on installing a lift. I ride a combination of hard pack, mud, and sand. Sizing I was thinking for XTR are:

27-9-12 (front)
27-11-12 (rear)

Sizing correct? Too big without lift? Suggestions? Thanks,
From my experience of being out on the trail, I would not recomend the mud lites. They have a very weak sidewall and are prone to flats. Everyone that I ask where I ride despise mud lites. Matter of fact I have 2 xtr's sitting at the house right now both with holes in them large enough that it took 15 plugs per hole and a bottle of slime in each just to get back to the truck. I am not bashing or anything, I have talked to a few poeple that's had very good luck with them, but in my book the odds are stacked againsn't them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to know, BigVic.

What tire do you prefer? I would have thought that a 6 ply tire would hold up better than what you described. What kind of riding do you do? Thanks,

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE ("DallasCon":3050mpfy)
Good to know, BigVic.

What tire do you prefer? I would have thought that a 6 ply tire would hold up better than what you described. What kind of riding do you do? Thanks,
If you look at true details of the mud lite, only the tread is 6 ply. The sidewalls is only 4 ply which would be the same as stock tires. I do have one freind that has been running mud lites for over a year and hasn't had a flat yet but he runs 7 pound of air in them. I am currently just running some carlisle 489's like they have at Wal-Mart until I can get some Dirt Tamers. FYI- Carlisle, ITP, and Titan tires are all made by the same company. I can't tell you what would be the best but from what I have seen on the trails everyone that gets the Maxxis Bighorn loves it. It's not much of a mud tire but more of an all-terrain. Also the GBC Dirt Tamer has almost the exact same tread design but there only Bias-Ply tires but they are cheaper than the bighorn. From what i've heard Maxxis used to make a bias-ply bighorn and when they changed to radials they sold the rubber molds to GBC and that's why there almost identical.

Your tire choice should match what you ride. I do mostly trail riding and a little mud playing so I like an all-terrain. Remember this if you do mainly trail riding you need a tire that has some tread on the side wall. It will help you to stay on top of ruts and on the off-camber areas. With mudlites there is no side bite in the tread so it slide sideways fairly easy.

Just my 2 cents from what i've seen out on the trail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm still confused and undecided on the tire/size that would be best for my typical riding needs. Mud Lite's / XTR are extremely popular on this board although, I'm not interested in having to worry about puncturing tires. The Bighorn's seem to get shot down for being too heavy...at the same time, I've not seen anyone question their durability. I'll take a look at the dirt tamers, haven't seen that tire yet.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...guess I'll keep wearing out my stockers until I can make up my mind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.