Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted yet another set of tires/rims on my bike. I think I am finally satisfied! WHEW!

I started with a stock '06 TRX350FE,

I mounted up some 25" Rincon take-off radials and rims, and they lasted me just under 200 miles before they were full of plugs.

I then mounted up some 25" Bearclaws to the Rincon rims, and they were a disappointment because they were smaller than the 24" stockers. The fronts actually measured 23 3/4" at 5psi. Because they were so small with a hard sidewall, I thought they rode like crap. They also did worse than the stock Dirt Hooks in the mud. I got stuck with the Bear Claws where the stock tires would pull right through. The 25" Bear Claws are crap in my opinion. They will either be going on our 250 Recon, or maybe up on eBay. Probably eBay. I'll buy some 25" Bighorns for the Recon.

The saga continues...I just mounted up some DNA 12"x7" polished aluminum rims with Maxxis Bighorns spooned on them. 26"x9"x12" fronts, and 26"x12"x12" rears. I noticed on the www.atvfrontier.com site that a guy did a test where all his radial Bighorns ran 1" large at 5psi. I measured my new 26 inchers at 5psi, and they are exactly 26". I am actually glad of that. I didn't want 27's on my Rancher. (unless they were 27" Bear Claws - which probably measure to 25 3/4")

I was going to try the 27" Bear Claws, but was so disappointed with the 25's, that I didn't want to buy another set and not like them. I've read nothing but praise about the Bighorns, so I ponied up for the cream of the crop of all terrains.

I did a very brief initial ride after mounting (2 miles maybe) and couldn't notice any huge power losses. One thing I noticed immediately, though - at one creek crossing coming up a muddy bank, the 25" Bear Claws would spin and lose momentum. Sometimes you would have to back up and hit it with speed, or engage 4wd. I deliberately crawled as slowly as I could with the 26" Bighorns, and they walked right up the same muddy creekbank in 2wd with zero wheelspin.

I like riding in mud, and I've seen some unanswered questions on whether they clog up or not. I'll post up as soon as I find out! (with pictures!)

My garage is looking like a friggin' used tire warehouse!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'll try to post up some pics later tonight.

As most have already said that have Bighorns, they clog up pretty fast in the deep mud if you want to bog, but mud you encounter on the trail isn't a problem. They actually clean out immediately on the trail, but they don't clean out well while in the mud. Blipping the throttle in the mud does nothing to clean them.

They really shine on fast trails. They are heavy, and I thought they would make my bike handle like a fat cow, but just the opposite is true. I can run these oversized 26" tires faster than the stock bias-ply 24" tires. They have precise steering control, and an amazing ride. Very plush like a caddy. You can push them very hard, and they never get sloppy or out of control.

It took me a while, but I finally found the right tires. They are everything people said they are, and the extra $10 - $20 dollars a tire versus everyone else's tire prices is money well spent. To say I am extremely pleased is an understatement.

I'll try to post some pics tonight...

·
Registered
123 Posts
if u have them on your computer already jus go to the post reply button at the buttom of this page and wen u get there press the browse button and a smaller window should pop up and u find the picture u want and click on it and go over and click on the open button then that window will go away and then click submit

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Mudslinger70,

I'll be looking forward to your updates

You'll really like how they wear

This is what mine look like with over 4000 miles
mostly riding hard packed Desert & Mountians
and a few trips down the asphalt.

Front

Rear

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE ("trail_shredder_crf":3kgooom6)
if u have them on your computer already jus go to the post reply button at the buttom of this page and wen u get there press the browse button and a smaller window should pop up and u find the picture u want and click on it and go over and click on the open button then that window will go away and then click submit
Yeah, I tried that, but I believe my filesize is too large. It wouldn't let me upload the pic. Next computer illiterate question...how to resize the shot to be uploaded? Duh! Ha Ha!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE ("Desert Hawk":35nr367q)
Mudslinger70,

I'll be looking forward to your updates

You'll really like how they wear

This is what mine look like with over 4000 miles
mostly riding hard packed Desert & Mountians
and a few trips down the asphalt.

Front

Rear
Desert Hawk, I have read all your posts on this site and the ATVnation site regarding the Bighorns. As, a matter of fact, I have read every search with the word "Bighorn" in it. Your excellent results helped me to pick these tires, and they are very, very impressive.

A comfortable ride usually means sloppy handing. I am impressed with how hard you can push the tires and they never get out of control. Normally crisp handling goes hand in hand with a rough ride. The Bighorns handle and ride excellent. Can you tell that I like them?

My only wish is that I picked the Bighorns first instead of the Bear Claws. No biggie, though. The Bear Claws went straight to the wife's bike. I aired them down to 3psi for her since her bike is so light, and the 25s look and feel at home on the Recon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so that worked. (I figured out how to resize the file) Why did the photo turn out small like that where you need to click to enlarge?

Low-budget mods include: ammo cans all around for straps, shackles, hand tools, lunch and drinks. I have just over $30 in this mod.

Hand-made bash plate made out of 1/4" mild steel. Made out of a scrap piece of I-beam from work. I cut the center web out and used a harry homeowner buzzbox to weld the ears on to accomodate the factory mounting holes.

More pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Mudslinger70,

I also wish I had them from day one

I can see your pictures, Great Looking Machine

Another great point is the sidewall protection
keeps the cast wheels lookin fine

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, guys!

I scratched the aluminum Rincon rims up pretty bad while the stock Rincon radials were on them over some rocky trails up our way.

I actually won another set of Rincon rims on ebay, but the seller never gave me a final price after ten days, so I went and bought the DNA rims on eBay for $199 plus $29 shipping. They are the same rims found on the Highlifter site for a lot more.

I thought the polished Rincon rims were just fine, but I've grown fond of the DNA rims. Next on pimp my ATV - curb feelers and mudflaps with Yosemite Sam on them - BACK OFF!

Uhhh....just kidding!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.