Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running tire chains when plowing? I have not bought any yet , but when I'm in the slush, I'm thinking that I need them

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a full set of chains but typically only run them on the rear while plowing. They make a lot of difference. Just a note that I am plowing a gravel driveway and part of the frozen yard for parking and leave about 3-4 inches of snow for the snowmobiles to run on. If your plowing down to pavement they may not work as well or may cut up the asphalt.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a full set of chains but typically only run them on the rear while plowing. They make a lot of difference. Just a note that I am plowing a gravel driveway and part of the frozen yard for parking and leave about 3-4 inches of snow for the snowmobiles to run on. If your plowing down to pavement they may not work as well or may cut up the asphalt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm also on a gravel driveway...and I do plow some of my lawn...for my dog ..I just thought it might be easier on the wheeler to just power through rather then spining..catching.. spining.. on the greasy stuff. I will admit, non of my buddys use chains though..

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I used to have them on the rear of my old 300,made a big difference when plowing.Mostly gravel driveways,some grass yards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re; tire chains

Well, I bought some chains today. Let me tell you something, its not as straight forward as you may think. Two different sets from Kimpex were way too big(Internet says that they were actually for 27-12-12,wrong size chains in wrong cases)I bought a set from BVD ( I never heard of them before)and let me tell you they are far superior then what Kimpex has to offer.Cost $15.00 more but the quality is there.I should add that I went with the cross chains every two links.I have been checking out this site for a couple of years without posting anything....so thanks for your input

·
Registered
286 Posts
I run Chains on all 4 tires on my foreman, and it makes a huge difference as in what you can push and what your able to drive over to manuver around.

I had stock wheels with around 2,000 miles and plowing last year was getting diffcult to push snow when is was packed down underneath.

I added Chains all around the good V-bar Chains up front and some el-chepo car tire Chains in the back, "garage sale for $10" took my time putting them on, "Air down the tires get chains tight then air tire back up now chain is super tight don't have to worry obout them slicing off that way" I ran 26" 589 tires for the first 2 snow falls before switching back to the stockers with the chains on and I can push more, dig through more with the stockers on tire chains then the 589's.

the tires chains will scrape away packed snow/ice where as just tires will sit on top and spin. I haven't noticed them diggin up asphalt though they will leave scratch marks in cement "front v-bar's"as I have several in the driveway from the atv digging down and spining in 1 spot. Though makes a great scrapper action just go to 2 WD get a little speed and gun it round and round you go and bare pavement from doing the doughnut's

any way here a pic of mine with the chains on it.

hope you enjoy sublime out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chains

Chains are on! Right now we have a few of inches down with ice underneath (when walking, I fell twice) plowing is easy w/ no spining in the rear but now steering may be an issue. The front tires just go straight when cut.(**** ice) I like those front chains "Sublime"! All in all the chains are doing as well as I thought

·
Registered
286 Posts
glad they are working out for ya.

and yea the v bar chains I run up front really have a great bite to them, compared to the reg chains that I am running on the rear but this way when I am in 2WD I can turn some wicked doughnuts cause the backs will slide easier and the fron stay's planted due to the plow weight.

sublime out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear that Sublime, I used to be able to do a donut to turn around but now I have to do a 3 point turn. Mine are v bar also so I cant power spin myself around anymore. Are we ever completely happy with what we have??LOL

·
Registered
286 Posts
no not really cause you alway's trying to make it better.

I had to reverse my rear chains as they had almost wore through the cross bars so now there on backwards so the Chains can were down on the other side of the links.

after they are shot I have some old V-bar truck Chains that will be fitted up to the back and then will have to c if I can still spin the doughnuts on them. and am thinking that I am gonna add some weight to the back so I can push more snow so that will probally take care of the doing doughnuts aspect of plowing.

though I put in the reverse shift overide so I don't have to push the little red button to shift to reverse that is a huge time saver right there.

LOL

sublime out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.