Honda Foreman Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tensioner broke?

timed the motor, adjust the tensioner all the way down, so it almost pushes on the guide, spin it around several times and check timing again, all looks good, except for the tensioner, will get pushed up and not come back down. I am guessing this is not correct, should hold the tension-right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
yes it should not go back up only come down your tensioner is bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pissed

:rantWell I put new tensioner in, checked timing once again, and put front cover back on. Fired it up, started right up, happy for one second, then began hearing rattling in front cover off and on, motor would skip every once in a while and hear clank in front cover. Sounds like it is trying to jump timing. Now I don't know what the **** to do! Maybe this thing needs a whole new timing set.
After comparing the old tensioner to the new one, the old was definitely broke.

·
Premium Member
13,184 Posts
The timing chain was never replaced correct? I would guess it is stretched and needs replaced. With everything else you have done that is the last thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have not replaced the timing chain nor the cam gear. Took apart this morning, pulled both clutches off this time and removed the chain and cam gear. Cam gear has a little wear on it but the timing chain is all kinked up. I guess is got damaged when the tensioner was broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am working on a 2003 Honda Recon 250.I am having a hard time with finding the timing marks and adjustment, I replaced the timing chain and tensioner and it still wont start.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts