Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Foreman 500
Trying to adjust valve clearance & cannot remove the timing hole cap.
Tried every allen wrench I have but no luck.
Don't want to booger it up for when I do valve clearance again.
Someone said it's a 6mm but I don't know.
Any help would be appreciated as I am at a stand still & not happy.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am saying this as delicately as possible.
If you are unable to figure out the size of hex wrench you need then you might be better off taking the ATV to someone who can. If you get the valves wrong you could spend a lot of time trying to figure out why it all of the sudden won't start or run correctly.

Darrell

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am saying this as delicately as possible.
If you are unable to figure out the size of hex wrench you need then you might be better off taking the ATV to someone who can. If you get the valves wrong you could spend a lot of time trying to figure out why it all of the sudden won't start or run correctly.

Darrell
Look DT400 don't need your smart ass response.
What I was saying was that I have heard that the hex wrench size for this is 6mm. Ok fine, I have a lot of hex wrenches but none of them fit.
Just want to be sure by reaching out that 6mm is correct & if so I will go by one without having to by a whole set. I am sure just by looking at one you can determine the size.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
dt400 was not being a smart asss ......he was telling you truth .... if you cant figure it out then bring it to someone who can .......

·
Registered
347 Posts
Look DT400 don't need your smart ass response.
What I was saying was that I have heard that the hex wrench size for this is 6mm. Ok fine, I have a lot of hex wrenches but none of them fit.
Just want to be sure by reaching out that 6mm is correct & if so I will go by one without having to by a whole set. I am sure just by looking at one you can determine the size.
Listen MilMan. If I was going to make a smart ass response I would have said "if you are to stupid to figure out what size wrench to use you have absolutely no business trying to tackle something as important as valve adjustment and you better take it to someone smarter"
I didn't say that did I?
I tried to be as respectful as I could in typing and you lost it.
Not everyone is made out to be a mechanic despite their best efforts. I don't know your skills so based on your issue with the most basic task I was trying to save you a possible big headache.

Good luck

Darrell

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look guys, don't want to get into a pissing match just wanted to know if it's a 6mm hex wrench & if so I will buy one.
Again, I have a boat load of random hex wrenches & none of them fit.
By the way, I have rebuilt performance engines and done quite a bit of fab work.
Valve clearance adjustments are about as easy as it gets. Just asked about a wrench size to make it easier on me.
Guess that was too much.

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure what size it is without looking, but I have this socket set and one of them is the correct one. I'd get the whole set. Much more cost effective.

http://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/great-neck-8-pcs-3-8-in-drive-metric-hex-bit-set/10208_0_0/

Here's a link to get a PDF of the factory service manual.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_TKSTsdx3KNRjVadWNVLW16ZDQ&usp=drive_web&tid=0B_TKSTsdx3KNRlRpdjBDQjl5TGs

Thanks jeepwm69 just what I needed.
That was easy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also a person can generate a lot more torque with less risk of rounding out by using allen bits with a ratchet as opposed to Allen keys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts