Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my cable on my Warn 2500lb winch, looking at cheapo synthetic winch rope on Amazon.ca. says 3/16 thickness my question is does synthetic rope replace wire cable foot for foot? I assume it does just the pictures i see of it look much thicker than winch cable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes they pretty much do. You will want to order 50ft you may (or may not) need to cut off 5-6ft of rope but this way you make sure you have enough to fill the winch. You will like the synthetic rope much more than the cable.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
when your replacing line on a winch, that has been used
if it HAD wire rope on it, YOU MIGHT NOT, be able to switch over to syn line, as the spools are NOT the same, many will crush under the load of the syn line, or damage winch!

NEXT when you switch from wire rope to SYN line, you also have to replace your rollers fair lead over to a hause fair lead, as you cannot re use the same rollers from wire rope to syn line, there will be small to larger burr's that will damage the new syn line, ruining it!
its a safety issue as well as a wear and ruin your new line deal!

so its NOT just as easy as buying correct weight rated line and replacing

and ALSO< keep in mind ALL syn rope winch line is NOT made to the same quality or spec';s
BUYING cheap line, will most times get you cheap line , that fails very soon

and last, Don't forget that even SYN line is NOT perfect, it needs proper care and cleanings and drying now and then, or it will shorten the use of it by a LOT
cheaper lines are not as well able to handle UV and er being wet/muddy and can dry rot or weaken real fast!

IMO< its worth the few extra bucks to buy the better line!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow really it will crush the winch drum? I figured there may be some chaffing, but the line im looking at has a protective cover over 3 ft on either end. I figured i could get by but i dont want my drum to fail. Lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest i use my winch very regularly(especially snow plow season) and have only replaced the steel line once. The forst line lasted till the quad had about 8000km on it, the one i replaced it with broke a strand within a year. Just looking at trying something different.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have switched out the stock cable to synthetic rope on 3 different atv winches that have been used for a lot of snow plowing and never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
and people win the lkottery and many don't LOL
if you read any owners manual for w winch, they will state what line they can handle

NOT all have issues with spools being damage, but some do
and ALL used rollers or hause's that had STEEL line on them will be damaged /wore from the steel line
and as such will have small burrs on that will DAMAGE syn line,
HOW Long will it take to cause a issue, depends on how big the burr's are
but this is facts not opinion of mine
OEM's of winch line will tell you this as well as winch makers

some folks have sanded things down to SMOOTH to re use, but again, so me win some loose! LOL

ALL winch line can break when plowing, the # 1 cause is OVER INNING on winch line, you get a small defect in line and OVER winch IN on it, and you stress things over and over and sooner or later weak link gives and line snaps
be it steel line or SYN< any line with a defect and over stressing or repeated stressing and they will SNAP
SYN line's BIG advantage when being used for plowing is its more flexible, takes longer to weaken it from repeated bending!

JUST cause you BREAK a line, doesn't mean WHOLE line has to be replaced either, you can certianly pull off line till its GOOD< and cut and re hook
if you plow enough you will break lines!
nature of the beast with BOTH
20+ yrs of plowing with a ATV(and countless other things) I can break a line steel or SYN on ATV winch and re tire a new hook to KEEP me plowing(not HD winching) in about a minute and back up and going!
I learn this LONG ago
nothing sucks more than being far from tools and have a line snap when plowing(I plow several 3-4 mile long trails) so I learned how to re tie on a hook to get going ASAP!

if you have means, some folks have added STOPS that electrically STOP a winch from OVER In'ing ,(they place on plow to stop before it bottoms out on atv frame or??) can be a BIG help if your not good at using your winch IN
NEX T mod many do too, is they alter things on HOW the blade gets lifted, so as to NOT have as much of a BEND on the line, some use a REAL big bottom roller on roller fiarleads, some add a second pulley to divert route of line, to NOT have a shape bend to lift blade and so on!
but bottom line is, when you OVER IN on line and have a weak spot in line, from a burn, line damage some other way or, just repeated bending
sooner or later that line will snap, be it syn or steel rope!
I personally prefer wire rope, its cheaper and takes more abuse(not bending though LOL)
and I can re tire it back to good in about a minute to PLOW< , or cut damaged line and re hook down till I HAVE to replace whole line!

I also know many folks that modify plow LIFT set up's so,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts