Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with these. Sounds like a cool idea. Will they retro-fit on an older (1.5 year) warn winch????

ANyone have one yet???

·
Registered
160 Posts
Several readers have them. They sound great but I haven't changed over yet. From what I have seen, you need to get a new fairlead which is not real expensive but roller fairlead has not been recomended from what I have read about. I have looked at them but not quite ready to buy one yet but would like to do so at some point. They are not supposed to have the slingshot effect if cable breaks or comes loose like a cable would which is dangerous. No stretch effect on the synthetic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting about the roller...I found a retro-fit for my winch on the 'net and it comes with a roller fairlead...for $88.00

My steel cable has some nasty kinks in it from plowing....spooled a couple times at an akward angle a couple other times....you know.

Anyone here actually have this set-up??? Looks like a nice alternative to the harsh steel cable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used it on trucks quite a bit. I dont have a winch on the foreman yet but am getting one soon. The cable that comes with the winch will come off before the winch even gets mounted. Synthetic is the only way to go. The roller fairleed is avoided for a couple reasons. First you cant use your current fairlead no matter what. It can have small burs on it that will destroy the rope. Second it can pinch the rope, though less likely with an ATV fairlead than it is with a fullsize. I plan to get an aluminum piece at the same time as the rope. BEST way to go.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have the synthetic line nd love it. It is true about the fairlead. I have the roller on mine and it did snap the rope. It got caught between the rollers and I didnt know it. It just fell to the ground when it did snap to. The best things about it is
1. it falls to the ground when snaped, doesnt fly back at you.
2. doesnt give you splinters when handling.
3. it floats and easier to throw
4. just ties back together wheit does break
5. doesnt kink like the steele cable.

I will never go back to the steele again. In fact it is required in alot of 4x4 truck events for its safety features. I got mine from www.okoffroad.com for like $50. to my door. 50ft of 3/16 line with rock guard. To put it on.. just remove your old line and wind this on. Mine came with an eyelet where it mounted to the winch that I had to cut off (tuff stuff to cut) and feed it thru the hole in the winch drum. It WILL fit on ANY winch out there. Get it you will be more than happy with it. I do however recommend the billet alum farlead they have, unless your lead is like NEW (no scratches etc that the rope can snag on) Sorry so long just wanted to give my .02 on this GREAT stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why does the Warn kit come with a roller if they aren't recommended? I'm glad I kept my stock fairlead.

What about using it in the off-season for raising the plow? Any problems there?

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE ("seltzer":1keosefp)
Why does the Warn kit come with a roller if they aren't recommended? I'm glad I kept my stock fairlead.

Warn comes with the roller because it comes with steele cable and a roller is fine with that. It is fine with the syn line too as long as you pay attention to line placement on the rollers and it is SMOOTH. They have a special line for plows, the regular line I dont know if I would use that as it will be slidding in the same short distance on the lead for so long that it MAY snap it, I think I read about that in a different forum. I would keep a small pice of steele cable to switch out in the winter for just plowing. that way it will be short and work the plow faster as there would be less winds on the winch drum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE ("foreman lover":13y49lxr)
QUOTE ("seltzer":13y49lxr)

Warn comes with the roller because it comes with steele cable and a roller is fine with that. It is fine with the syn line too as long as you pay attention to line placement on the rollers and it is SMOOTH. They have a special line for plows, the regular line I dont know if I would use that as it will be slidding in the same short distance on the lead for so long that it MAY snap it, I think I read about that in a different forum. I would keep a small pice of steele cable to switch out in the winter for just plowing. that way it will be short and work the plow faster as there would be less winds on the winch drum.[/quote]

Good idea on the short steel cable.

The kit I saw came with thesynthetic rope and a roller fairlead....that is where I got confused.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Synthetic rope and roller fairlead

They don't recommend the roller fairlead only i f the one you plan on using is used. If it's brand new then it is suppose to be ok. The used fairleadds tend to have nics and gouges in them which can catch the synthetic rope and cause it to break. Thats what i've been told.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Now that I have pulled out my cable I'm thinking of getting one. I have been looking at them for a while now and some places sell them with a roller fairlead. Mines new but I think I will get the right one so it don't stick out as far. What are some of the brand names you guys are useing?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Amsteel is the biggest name out there, as far as synthetic cables go. They come green/olive and blue. Thats what I have. Some one posted a link with dirt cheap prices a few days ago. You can do a search for it. I have a billet hawse fairlead from Masterpull. But a few companies make them .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.