Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I already got the motor put back in and swingarm on (re-used old boot that covers the u-joint that I just replaced) rode it for a full day and everything was fine. Well the other day I was fixing one of the plugs on the sensor and just for the heck of it decided to squeeze the boot. Well when I did water came out of it where it was clamped down.

So with a mean face I took the swingarm back off again and replaced the boot and put it all back together. The instructions from the book are Put in and tighten left pivot bolt and then put in and tighten the right pivot bolt to 7lbs or whatver it was. Well I did all that and looked at the gap between the swingarm and the frame and their was no gap on the left side and a HUGE gap on the right side.

Knowing that wasnt right I redid it like 4 times trying to get it right until i gave up and called my knowledgeable uncle and he looked at it and was stumped as well. We actually measure to see if my frame was bent or if the swingarm was a different size than his and everything was perfect. I have all the parts in place (which is only 1 bearing with dustseal on each side and the metal thing it goes into) I then went to the Honda parts store and ordered everthing from 2 new pivot bolts to 2 more bearings hoping to fix the problem.

Has anyone had any problem like this when taking their swingarm off/on again? My uncle said that maybe the threads were screwed up on the left pivot bolt and it wasnt able to thread all the way into the frame resulting in a bad adjustment. Sorry so long, any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but you better hurry up and get that thing going.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
just make sure there is no dirt or rust behind the regular bolt. if u have the one side tight, and snugg the other with the lock nut. 7 lbs. is not much. You can almost do that with your hands, so its not very tight. the gap might not be the same on both side, so that is where the adjustments comes from, to take up the slack. If it is no more than an 1/8" difference, I wouldn't worry about it. IMO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts