Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to the forum. And wheeling, sold my sleds and going to try a new sport.
I just bought a 2004 450s and the swing arm has about a 1/4" (bout 1/8th on each side, the swing arm is centered in the machine at rest)of free play between the frame. By pulling on the grab bar I can move the machine about 1/4" on the swing arm back and fourth bewteen the frame and the swing arm. No up and down, just side to side
(hopefully that gave you guys a visual of whats going on here)

Basically Im asking if there should be any side to side play at all and if not by tightening the right allen bolt will close the gap by brinning the frame together? Its my understanding the right allen is the one that ajusts free play.

Also if some one could try to explain how it does, since there is not a bolt going all the way through both side I dont understand how its going to pull the frame together to eliminate the side to side.

Thank for all your help!

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes the right allen bolt is the one to set the load on the bearings. It should only have 3 ft/lbs of torque. The lock nut is 83 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (toodeep @ Sep 16 2009, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=135163
Welcome to the forum. Yes the right allen bolt is the one to set the load on the bearings. It should only have 3 ft/lbs of torque. The lock nut is 83 ft/lbs.
Thanks! so your saying the should be no free play at all. Just keep tighting it till the gap is eliminated?

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Yes, there should be no free play. Do not over tighten it or your bearings will go bad. The pivot bolt on the right side will go completely through the frame if needed and that is how it is adjusted. The lock nut will have to be loosened to get it torqued properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (toodeep @ Sep 16 2009, 05:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=135167
Yes, there should be no free play. Do not over tighten it or your bearings will go bad. The pivot bolt on the right side will go completely through the frame if needed and that is how it is adjusted. The lock nut will have to be loosened to get it torqued properly.
AHH Ok. I see. I was wondering how it took up that free play.

Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just tighten enough to take up the free play. About 3-7 ft lbs. the locking nut gets a lot of torque, you have to make a tool out of an old socket or buy one for the lock nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts