Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swamped my 13 Rubicon. Have tipped quad up to drain water from exhaust, drained carb bowl, drained oil, removed plug and refilled. Was talking with a guy from the dealership who just recommended a couple of oil changes and didn't recommend using anything like seafoam or marvel mystery oil. I am reading good things about the marvel mystery oil but not sure if I should use it or not. Anyone have any advice? Would.greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
With the plug removed, spin the motor over a few times to get all the water out, change oil. Run for a little bit and change oil again. You might want to check your front and rear differential oil and make sure there's no water in there also. That's what I would do besides what you have already done, but I'm no expert.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
Flushing is a crapshoot, especially with a Hondamatic.

If you got lucky and sank it in clear, clean water, you MIGHT get by with a flush. More than likely you got all kinds of other crap in your motor with that water that won't all come out with a flush, so eventually you'll have a smoking engine when the grit that was suspended in the water ends up in your rings and cylinder, or worse, it kills your Hondamatic.

The proper way to do this is to tear the entire engine down and thoroughly clean it out, and then reassemble. If you want to try the easy way, do multiple oil changes and keep your fingers crossed. I wouldn't use any mystery oil or the like. Just use something like Rotella T4 that's cheap and wet clutch approved.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
what jeep said
there is NO way to KNOW for sure that the inside of your motor is NOT holding destroying dirt and ??? without tearing it down

you can change oil, flush till the cows come home and all your doing is gambling!
some times you will win , many times you will not

IF you drove or ran motor already, damages can already be done and continuing running it will only do more
its the nature of the beast, as they say, got to PAY to PLAY

there is NO clean water after you drive an atv into it?
is what it is

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same thing happen to my brother last week.Riding on the local river when the ice collapse beneath him.Bike went down in a metre of fresh running water.Lucky he shut her down before she went under.Took four guys and a fold up atv ramp to pull her up the ice above.Towed her back to a warm garage where he drain her(oil first,then alot of water poured out).Took three oil changes(pulled spark plug,lots of water in the cylinder head) and a new filter on the last change(also drain the exhaust and air filter box).Diffs were filled with H2o.Always good to have old motor oil(ATV approved)on hand for these flushes.Bike seems fine now,oil very clean and no smoking....Hopefully Honda tough..Fingers crossed..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the oil changes. No seafoam or mystery oil. No water came out of cylinder with plug out. Quad ran good. Sounds good. No smoking/abnormal exhaust or foul odors. Going to ride it and shake the **** out of it tonight and do another oil change. Hope there wasn't too much debris in that water...pooled runoff with hard frozen bottom. Keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hope it works out, I would ride it around the block a few times, drain the oil and look for more water, if no water, put it back in, run it for a day and change to new oil......so help me out guys, I'm just a rebelrouser down here in S. Texas. The top of the water is frozen I can understand but the bottom is frozen also? Running water or still?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
just to be clear its NOT the water in the oil that eats motor parts, so just checking for water is not the game here(yes you DON"T want water in the motor oil or any oil for that matter)
but its the dirt and crap that CAME in with the water that sticks to the cases in flushes and oil changes that destroys the motor on you in time, be it short or long
BEST advice I will make to all you that like to FLUSH and fill oil after a sinking is this
DO a compression test NOW, check in 10 hours and again, and SEE if things are going south
iust way easier and cheaper to DO a top end, than replace a blown motor if things start to go bad FAST

a few rides at]round the block to not mean all is good , or no smoke for the first few hours
it can take time or again NOT to show signs of damaged from what ever was ingested with the water to show up!

NO water you ride an atv in is CLEAR and CLEAN after you ride ATV into it
the amount and TYPE of contaminates that CAME into your motor when the water did, is the killer, some are softer than others, so some get by SOME DON"T,all comes down to LUCk IMO
some times you win, many times you don't, like lottery tickets! HHaa

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
I've gotten by with a flush when I sank mine in soft clay based mud.

I've sunk one in sandy soil (red dirt in South Arkansas) and after flushing the residual grit not only ruined the top end but also ate the crank. That one cost me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought I would throw in a little update. Its been 10 months now and the Rubicon is running as good as it ever did and no smoke!! Got **** lucky. The water was all snow melt from spring runoff and the bottom of the waterhole was still frozen solid....so minimal mud/**** stirred up when I was chooching through. Definitely been an eye opener though. Just wanted to send out a thanks to you guys who replied. Your help was greatly appreciated. Learned alot I didnt know about the bike just browsing the forums. Good help is hard to find sometimes so thanks again fellas!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts