Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to get this off? I was able to hoist the rubi up and get a good try at getting this off. This sucker is on there. I finally ground down the sides there so that maybe I could get some vice grips on. That didn't work either.

I tried to make some
Flat sides with the grinder. That didn't work.

I don't have a welder so I would have to take it to a shop to weld something in there to turn. I'm open to any ideas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What's the matter rich? Have I stumped you? Lol

i have hammered on a smaller socket, didn't work... i have gotten a socket that says it will take off rounded bolts...didn't work...

i prolly should have gone the welded route to begin with.... i was hoping that by grinding it down i could get some vice grips on there... that didn't work either...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just grind it all the way off now. Lol your almost their

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I thought about that... but I still wont be able to get the bolt out and a new filter on there..

so any other ideas?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not to be insulting but are you turning it the right way. I have seen people get it backward when working upside down. I doubt this since you tried the special rounded bolt socket.
Since the bolt is in oil all the time, except for the section that goes through he cap, I can't imagine corrosion being the issue.
Tapping it with a hammer might help free it up or heating it carefully with a torch may help as well.

You may have to grind/drill the head off and get the cap off so you can get something on the bolt, but since the bolt is hollow you might be able to get a huge easy out in there.

Good luck, that is a strange one...

Darrell

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
I wonder if you cross threaded that thing when you put it on.

First thing you need to do is order a new oil filter bolt and cap so that when you do get it off you have another one to put in there.

At this point I think I'd take it to a shop and have someone weld a nut on it. You could also try a GOOD pipe wrench. Not one with worn out jaws and teeth.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what happens when the wookie works on his stuff instead of me!:WTF:

I should be known that jeep said something bout using the grinder!!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should be know that jeep suggested the grinder!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to be insulting but are you turning it the right way. I have seen people get it backward when working upside down. I doubt this since you tried the special rounded bolt socket.
Since the bolt is in oil all the time, except for the section that goes through he cap, I can't imagine corrosion being the issue.
Tapping it with a hammer might help free it up or heating it carefully with a torch may help as well.

You may have to grind/drill the head off and get the cap off so you can get something on the bolt, but since the bolt is hollow you might be able to get a huge easy out in there.

Good luck, that is a strange one...

Darrell

I put the impact wrench on it and pushed the REV button...

so im assuming its correct unless its reverse threaded..

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I guess this is why there are directions on shampoo... my god man...

get a large, sharp set of vice grips. not a cheap set either. squeeze them together so hard you need an extra fella to help them clasp shut, length of pipe on the vice grips and turn very easily and steady as to not break the hold and furthermore strip it...

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Yeah I wondered about that too. Are you using good vice grips are cheap china made? They have flat jaws or curved where they can hold it?

I've got a bigass Rigid pipe wrench that I bet would get it.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
fvck it!, just part it out now. that's half the engine you got with the grinder and put a nice, shiny spot on the frame too. junk it. lol

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
LOL. Only about $44 for the new bolt and cap. Shaving the cap didn't hurt it, and you could run it like it is. The bolt is $25.33.

Parts Finder Honda East Toledo Maumee, OH 1-877-437-1631

This did make me thing of this thread.

http://www.hondaforeman.com/130-foreman-500/85249-help-oil-filter-cover-cracking-twice.html

I can't figure out how that thing is so tight. Think we'd be better off welding a nut to it or trying a bigass pipe wrench? Only welder I have is a little wire welder.

My suggestion is to leave it for now and order the parts. I need a few odds and ends from Paulie. Want me to order a new bolt (and cap?) and we can see if we can get it out when you come down the 27th?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup. Get the bolt and cap and we can wrench on it that morning.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
So he tried some Irwin bolt out thingy for stripped bolts. No dice.

I'm thinking try a big pipe wrench on it, and if that doesn't work, grind the head off the bolt. and remove the cap. With the rest of the bolt not being under tension it should unscrew easily, right?

Anyone have any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts