Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 450 is making a whine/screaming noise when riding and engine is turning medium RPM. When I let off the throttle it is louder. Sounds like it is coming from engine or front of bike. Do not hear the sound when in neutral and I run the engine up. What do you think this could be?
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you ever had any water in your engine?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Have you checked your front differential fluid? I think my diff whines a little, or its something in trans.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
put your bike up on blocks or stands and run it in low gear and u should be able to locate the sound.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Poss could be something in the ignitor/charging system area of engine.Or poss a one way bearing in the clutch housing.You can use a long screw driver and hold it up to your ear and place it in diff areas of engine to find area of noise.Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not had water in the engine and the front differential is full. I did change differential fluid recently and I think I used a synthetic blend. Do you think the synthetic might be an issue?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Synthetic diff fluid is 100% better to use.I would use it in mine,but it seems like when I change mine I never have the xta $$$ for synthetic.I'm a aoto tech 4 a living and the best diff oil I've seen out is Motorcraft 75W140 synthetic(dealer only).It has a great temp range and always looks new in the Fords with 100k on them.Almost $10 a quart,but that's enough for both Honda differentials.JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I'M A DIE HARD BOWTIE BOY THOUGH!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the bike out today and notice the screaming noise is when I am in 3rd 4th or 5th. It is louder when engine is warm, and louder when I let off the throttle, specially if I am going down hill. Seems like when it is compression brakeing it is louder and pitch changes. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE ("JF450ES":1cqjqcr2)
Poss could be something in the ignitor/charging system area of engine.Or poss a one way bearing in the clutch housing.You can use a long screw driver and hold it up to your ear and place it in diff areas of engine to find area of noise.Good luck.

Hey I had a weird noise like a low grind and now my bike won't hold a charge... I know its not my battery i swapped it and its fine on the other bike (after charging on that bike). any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bill K Did you figure out what your problem was?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I have not figured out what the sound is. It seems to be related to compression braking when in the higher gears. It does not sound like gears or a grind. It is a high pitch whine/scream sound.
Good luck with yours

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE ("Bill K":exm6t2x6)
No, I have not figured out what the sound is. It seems to be related to compression braking when in the higher gears. It does not sound like gears or a grind. It is a high pitch whine/scream sound.
Good luck with yours
Thanks for the reply Bill appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts