Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stored Rancher 420 for 5 years with fuel in tank, (my bad) no start going through fuel system, new parts etc. found filter in fuel tank half gone. Not sure of last fuel but was most likely E10. Photo of filter attached, anyone else seen this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
You'll be lucky if it doesn't seize up your fuel pump as well.

Reactions: Moccasin Ranger

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
have to remember that water can get into fuel and your tank in many ways, and the water in it will rust things out like that too!
I am NOT a fan of ethanol fuel., period, but there is more ways to have things go bad than just ethanol fuel in tank!
condensation can happen with pure fuel too over that long a time period if exposed to temp swings!
or just bad fuel at station, many stations have been known here to sell BAD fuel
leaking holding tanks, all this rain any more, flooding and so on??
never know LOL
when storing for long amounts of time, you really need to do prep work to ensure things last as best they can!

·
Registered
377 Posts
mrbb pretty much took the words right out of my keyboard. Condensation, temperature swings, .... sweat! My street bike has the most finicky carbs ever built, seafoam is my friend. Corny gas eats materials and I've read that it is hydroscopic, absorbs moisture. And then there's the goop it leaves behind, which sets up like concrete.

Condensation - Sometimes I can walk into the garage and everything looks like it was misted with a spray bottle, same conditions exist inside fuel tanks/cans.

There's a process to remove ethanol from gas, it involves adding water and letting it settle, same thing happens with condensation in your tanks and cans. Now imagine 100% ethanol soaking on your carb parts, fuel tank, etc.

I've been attacked by the corn lobby for my comments about ethanol. So a pic is worth 1000 words. This is some year-old weedeater gas. Look at the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Working on it.

Most damage done by the Olefines in fuel that left "molasses" in tank and pump enclosure, completely clogging the old design filter on bottom. Ordered all new pump for $88 even though it still "buzzed". New pump has filter on the side. But, it seems dumb they did not put a drain on the bottom of the pump enclosure to drain out any water, etc. Going to drill and tap a drain valve into the enclosure bottom. Have to modify the pump's bottom support for the drain. Still cannot figure what Honda used for the tank pickup filter that got ate up??? I've always seen stainless steel mesh used in that role. Still have to borescope the tank to see how much molasses are in there. Being it's black, hard to see. I find denatured alcohol will solvent it quickly. Might need a steel shot and alcohol tumble to remove any left in there.
Going to try Chevrons's new fuel treatment for small engines, claim is 2 yr storage. Got last bottle at Auto Zone, seems to be selling fast. With a drain in bottom of the pump enclosure, the lowest point in system, I will be able to check for and drain out any water etc. Will only store with tank full from now on. And, will now be using it more often..:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah ethanol contamination will do that. I’d replace that part and possibly the fuel pump.

If you can get non eth gas, I run that exclusively. If it’s hard to find, I’d at least try to fill it with non-eth prior to storage. Having the tank full gives less surface for condensation, and less of the gas is exposed to air, which delays the gas from going bad.

If I’m not using a machine for an extended period, I’ll siphon the gas into a jug to use in a car and replace the gas in the machine at least annually.

Having clean oil is also a good idea for storage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know why my replys never get posted, they just disapear after a message saying the administrator will have to approve??????

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Anyone know why my replys never get posted, they just disapear after a message saying the administrator will have to approve??????
Your email or user name put you into a moderation. In 5 post or so you'll be good to go. I'll try to get them all approved as soon as possible for you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fixing it

OK, my posts getting published now Thank you.

Have seen all above problems with E10 fuel here in CA. In this 420 fuel system, the Olefins turning to molasses did in the fuel pump. This system with two fuel filters you cannot see is stupid. And, the fuel pump in a separate canister with filter at bottom on original design ?? even dumber, (new one now on the side ).

Best modification I am doing now is putting a drain in that canister. If you look at it, someone cast a "boss" into it for such a drain then it was never done??? Since it is lowest point in system, water, etc. easy drain out. With new pump apart, I drilled and threaded it for a 1/8" NPT and waiting on a Curtis drain petcock with O ring fit for E10 fuels. Why fuel ate up the "screen" material on the tank pickup filter? = Bad choice of material.
Why not just use stainless steel mesh like most every system I've seen before?
Going to try new Chevron small engine fuel treatment, stabilize for 2 yrs. Since I use Chevron only, would think their chemists know their fuel the best.. Have used Sta-Bil for years, but think will try this newer product now. Looks suspiciously like Sta-Bil 360?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Post Script

Besides replacing the; fuel pump, tank filter/valve, and the fuel gauge, I had to remove and clean out the fuel injector.
Soaked in solution of denatured alcohol and small amount of Techron Power Sports additive. Then took an ear syringe and pushed solution through it while energizing the 12v contacts from battery with alligator clips, to open and close injector. Now, running like new.
Installed drain valve, on fuel pump case, is easy to access with side panel off.

And, attached picture of "molasses" formed in fuel pump case. After looking at my records, it was 11 yrs. in storage with partially filled tank...time flys...Now besides hunting, using it for mowing with Swisher mower so getting used as it should.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts