Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate the input on the Rubi, I ordered a green one today. My next question is how bad are the factory tires? My Suzuki tires tore constantly until I replaced them. I'm thinking of just starting with a set of stock size Maxxis Bighorns and avoiding the BS alltogether. Am I wasting my money?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good Call

Good choice on the ruby. The reviews are not great but it will be bulletproof. As for the stock tires I took mine off right away. I put on 26 inch mudbugs and love them so far. I wish I had got the 27 inch ones. Also I put the stockers on my lady's 2003 foreman es, which I just took the sun rotted, cactus embeded factory tires off of. Last summer I road the 2003 foreman es in early spring and I must say it hauled ass. Bald pump up daily dunlops really held there own. So if you have cash to blow buy some new one's right away so mabe you can sell the stock ones. Our shop sells them for 50 bux apiece. But if you are broke from buying the new wheels, they weill work for now.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Most dealers will let you upgrade to an aftermarket tire at the time of purchase for an additional charge thats a lot cheaper than buying 4 new tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any opinion on which size to get 25 vs 26? I am NOT going mudding, this is a slow speed trail/off road/rock climbing hunting rig only, out west hunting country. I read the Maxxis are slightly larger than stock in the same size, so I'm leaning that direction. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The extra ground clearance of the 26's is a plus for rock crawling and hunting. I would go with the largest size the dealer would install without voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE ("sfjakey":11v62sou)
Any opinion on which size to get 25 vs 26? I am NOT going mudding, this is a slow speed trail/off road/rock climbing hunting rig only, out west hunting country. I read the Maxxis are slightly larger than stock in the same size, so I'm leaning that direction. Any input is appreciated.

The bighorns are oversized slightly. A 25" bighorn is acually around 26 inches tall. If you need a great all around tire, go with the Maxxis Bighorns or you can take a look at the GBC Dirt Tamers. Basically the same tread but on a bias-ply tire (and cheaper), the maxxis are radials. If you go with GBC's then do 26 inch, if Maxxis do 25 inch. Just to give you an idea on wear, I have seen a set of bighorns on a Rubican with over 4,000 miles (on the tires) and still plenty of tread left. You will pay a little more for Bighorns but you will not need another set of tires for a long time!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would suggest you take a close look at the Bighorns. Fantastic tire that is well worth the extra price. Upgrading to the Bighorns was a HUGE upgrade over the stock meats. Good luck with your decision,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep, Bighorns are great tires. I am torn between a set of 26" Bighorns oand 26" Terracrosses.

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE ("JRICH":2t1yyhh5)
Yep, Bighorns are great tires. I am torn between a set of 26" Bighorns oand 26" Terracrosses.
Go with the Bighorns, you will not be disappointed! The terracrosses look like a great tire but the tread seems to be "soft" to me. I believe they would wear out quickly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an 04 Ruby still running stockers. They are not the best tire, but I rode them until they looked like Nascar slicks. Now I am looking at the Carlise ACT/XLR 26". I don't do much mudding either, may want to look at this tire. My dad runs them on his foreman, they have a good ride and a do good in moderate mud and rocks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.