Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 06 Honda Recon that we use at our hunting land hauling out deer and what not and was wondering if anybody made a stiffer rear spring. Anybody know of any? Will a TRX300 rear spring fit the rear Recon?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just put some hockey pucks on them it will stiffen them up real good for about five bucks! Just take the springs off cut a hole in the hockey pucks with a holesaw big enough to fit the shock into but not too big that the spring will go in the same hole and put the spring back on finished the hardest part is getting the springs on and off!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (bayou_nut @ Jul 10 2009, 12:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=130204
Just put some hockey pucks on them it will stiffen them up real good for about five bucks! Just take the springs off cut a hole in the hockey pucks with a holesaw big enough to fit the shock into but not too big that the spring will go in the same hole and put the spring back on finished the hardest part is getting the springs on and off!
Well I don't really see that helping with carrying more weight. I dunno. My buddy has a the rear shock off his old trx 300 that has a highlifter spring on it so I'm gonna see if it'll fit because i know the highlifters are supposed to hold more weight

·
Registered
187 Posts
QUOTE (localfiremedic @ Jul 10 2009, 12:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=130207
Well I don't really see that helping with carrying more weight. I dunno. My buddy has a the rear shock off his old trx 300 that has a highlifter spring on it so I'm gonna see if it'll fit because i know the highlifters are supposed to hold more weight
I think the pucks would only be of help for pulling/dragging out deer by making your preload stiffer...if you're going to be loading weight onto the rear rack you definitely need more spring

·
Registered
366 Posts
Put the hockey puck I have it on two bikes it stiffens the stock springs just like a highlifter spring would do except cheaper but hey i guess I dont know what Im talking about!!!!!!!!!!!! I can only load my bike down now with two people and five sacks of corn and ride away like a champ before Id rub all in my fender wells!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (bayou_nut @ Jul 12 2009, 03:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=130387
Put the hockey puck I have it on two bikes it stiffens the stock springs just like a highlifter spring would do except cheaper but hey i guess I dont know what Im talking about!!!!!!!!!!!! I can only load my bike down now with two people and five sacks of corn and ride away like a champ before Id rub all in my fender wells!
I'm glad that worked for you man. I just don't want to do that to my recon. I was just wondering if there were any actual stiffer springs out there one could use. But just to clarify you're saying your recon can carry that now. OK, I'll call your bluff. PICs?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not a recon a foreman! And I can put that kind of weight on it no problem the poor recon would probley wheelie!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I put the spring from a 250ex on my kids bike and it made it hold more weight. The spring is about an inch taller than the stock recons.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm gonna see what I can come across. My buddy has a couple air shocks that came off his old dragster and might weld up a couple tabs to put one of them on. They're adjustable so you can just put them up with pressure to be stiffer. Seems like it might work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try a 300ex rear spring. It is the same size as the recon spring but stiffer and is adjustable. I know I'm new here but I frequent other atv sites and having a recon myself, I have looked into this. As soon as I get a few extra bucks I'm going to do this to mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think most folks get them on ebay. Evidently they work for the TRX300's as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moose makes a spring siffner for the recon and it is adjustable. I bought one for mine but have not had time to put it on yet. I think it will be good. it comes with a tool for adjusting the stiffness between one of three settings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Ronnie @ Sep 9 2009, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=134792
Moose makes a spring siffner for the recon and it is adjustable. I bought one for mine but have not had time to put it on yet. I think it will be good. it comes with a tool for adjusting the stiffness between one of three settings.

Hey, where did you buy this? I searched but couldn't find anything on google/yahoo. I want to get something to stiffen up the back but can't afford that 512 shock/spring and I want something temporary or adjustable for now so I can stiffen it just for when im hauling gear. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
A stock rear kawasaki brute force spring mounts right up to a recon. I have a 2001 and I bought a rear shock for <$20 shipped on eBay. I haven't taken it for a ride yet to see how it handles but I was able to have my gf and I sit on it and it still had around 3-4" of travel. I actually couldn't get it to bottom out from bouncing on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, the hockey puck works great.
I rarely respond to a forum, and I’ve never signed up for one simply to respond. However, this mod worked so well I felt I should offer a THANKS BAYOU_NUT, YOUR THE MAN. The mod is legit.

I’ve got a 2001 recon that my oldest and myself just salvaged from a recent flood. The rear suspension as y’all know just wasn’t stiff enough for two people, or bags of corn. After looking for springs, spacers, shocks, and larger used coil overs, I found this forum. The other items all either looked problematic or were expensive. So I decided to give this a shot, seemed cheap enough. As stated by bayou nut the hardest part is getting the spring off and back on. I actually could not find a spring compression tool small enough to remove the spring, which made it near impossible. I actually did not remove the spring. After drilling the hole in the center of the puck I cut a slit on the side so I could slip it on without removing the spring. I just had to compress the spring about 1.1 inches which is far less than removing it. Then I secured it with two long heavy duty zip ties.

The little recon now handles 210lb me, two bags on corn on the front, and two bags on the back. Could prob do more but I dont want to promise you that. I have loaded 3 front and back, it was not bottomed out but I chose not ride into the woods that way.

It does not feel bouncy without additional weight. Keep in mind I am 210lbs

For those of you who want to spend more money on an engineered solution go ahead. But I’ll leave you with this comment. I am an engineer, and most of our solutions start just like this, with an idea. Then we modify until it’s perfect. Not all engineered solutions are full of complicated calculations. All the calculations in the world don’t prove a product until it’s tested. I’ve tested this for heading into the woods with a respectable load or down the street and I approve. Now if your trying to jump a jumbo jet and 4 school busses, please buy the expensive ones, wear the best safety gear available, and have an ambulance on standby!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts