Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2004 Rancher 350 4X4 ES. Start button hasn't worked in many months. I've been using the pull cord. Recently (on its own) the button started working. Love a problem that fixes itself! It worked fine for about a week. Got on the bike today to ride to find the starter won't disengage, turned the key off ,starter kept spinning. It ran the battery down before I could disconnect the battery cable. Re-charged the battery hooked up the positive cable. Just touching the negative cable to the post causes sparks, smoke, and a whirling starter. Anybody have any ideas as to what's up?

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
714 Posts
sounds like more than one problem if stater kept running with key off, either your button is sticking or the starter needs to be rebuilt or replaced. a little trouble shooting is needed to find out which it is. i also would check wiring to make sure mice did not chew the wiring.

·
Premium Member
13,205 Posts
Starter solenoid is bad and stuck. If it was the button giving issues it should have quit with the key being turned off. To the first issue with it not working I've wired in many motorcycle (off road)push button kill switches to replace the starter button since you have to buy the complete switch.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yep, I would look at the starter solenoid. Once the contacts overheat and burn, they're more prone to welding themselves together, causing the starter to run continuously. Burning of the contacts is usually caused by long periods of cranking during a no-start problem, one of the reasons they tell us to crank in shorter bursts with a pause in between, to let it all cool down..

A dragging starter can pull too many amps and weld the solenoid contacts also, but you would notice the engine turning over slower than normal, so that's not likely the problem here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts