·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Nice you able to hunt bear?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I could hunt bears here in PA, all that's needed is to buy a lic and then wait till the season starts up, have a short like 3 day bow season and then a NOW 4 day rifle season in my area
I don't hunt bears , I enjoy watching them more, NOT against hunting at all, I just don't anymore
I have helped trap and tag a LOT of bears over the yrs, also been known to crawl into a few bear dens too , even with bears in them! LOL
been playing I guess with bears now in a more than hobby like way for about 30+ yrs
the land behind my place is owned by a hunting club, and the land across the street from me as well
FUNNY< they seldom ever kill any bears , spend too much time in the club houses drinking beer than hunting
I have 11 different bears I could tell apart this yr, one HUGE one, all of 600+ lbs,
rest are smaller say from about 100 lbs to about 350 on average, and then then cubs, well there just 10-20 lbs IF that right now, there the cute one's they stick to tree's like spiders here, can climb up and down sideways upside down backwards, they make me laugh when I watch them
and the mother, well she's a 3+ time mother and at this point in the stage of things, she about cares about them LOL
she some times leaves them here for me to baby sit I think, for like 4-5 hrs at a time, guess she needs a break from them
will come here, send them up a tree and just leave?
they be sleeping in my tree tops waiting for her to come back!
makes drinking a beer on the deck a little different at times!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's a couple pic's of the cubs and then up the tree she likes to leave them in, last pic will be the tree, and there all the way UP near the top, they have NO fear of heights or falling I guess> I do worry at times as they will go way out on the thin ends of the dead branches at times, and expect them branches to break!
ther are 3 cubs up this tree when I took these pic's

Last yr I had a mother with 4 cubs, then a few days later only had 3, so, I know somethings can happen

·
Registered
23 Posts
bears

these are great pics! ivebeen a long time bear hunter,, have ten good bears to my redit in two states and canada,, but the last few years i seem to want to watch more than really hunt... one of gods most amazing animals! where in pa are you? im in upstate ny. we have some bears but not as many as you

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in NE Pa area, always had a lot of bears in my area since I was a kid
and yes bears can be a LOT of fun to watch, they really seem to enjoy food and move rather carelessly at times and take a lot of time to stop and check things out and even play
cannot tell you how many times I have seen them outside playing with my garden hose , or an empty bucket, and its just for fun, no other reasons to do so?
I guess being the top of the naturale food chain has some perks LOL
But I hunted them for about 20 yrs, never really to kill one, just to spend more time in the woods, as I was a die hard hunter, used to hunt 3 months a yr and a few states every yr
but I do think as we age , we desire less of the harvesting than we do the enjoyment we get from just being out there and seeing critters in the wilds

·
Registered
23 Posts
yes sir,, you are 100 percent right. as you age life , everythings life, means more.. wish i noticed everything around me when i was young like i do now!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im in the Birmingham area by the way,, we are probbly close
your about 2 hrs north of me now, I used to belong to the Birmingham gun club for yrs
also had some wild times in the old bar up there called Country Bob's
if you ever heard of that place, back in the 90's it was a **** of a place to kick back and enjoy some cold one's, also got to see a lot of wild bar fights and some other wild things LOL

and yes I think we all appreciate more things as we get closer to the end
I think I'm rather lucky I always had a lot of respect for wildlife and was WAY into spending time learning all I could about it, I think if I had put a fraction of effort into making money as I did learning about critters I'd be rolling in cash HAHA!

I will tell you this, if you like seeing wildlife, and great scenery, you owe it to yourself to take a trip to Yellowstone national park
head out there about a week or so before they close for winter, and you will see nature at its best, minus the crowds too
cannot tell you how many critters I seen on my trips there
used to hunt ND< and then road trip it there to just relax, its like a million acre zoo , every sportsman should go once in there life

1 - 10 of 10 Posts