Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researching options for a snow plow system for my 2004 Rancher 350 ES. I've heard a 60" blade clears a path for the wheels which makes plowing easier. I've also heard that a 350 isn't enough power for a 60" blade. A smaller blade seems reasonable but do the wheels bog down in the smaller path? Also most systems I've looked at are similar in price. Any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a 48” snow plow on my old 350, it worked great & used it for many years. I now have a 54” tapered blade that I use on my Rubicon and Kodiak. You won’t have any issues with a 48” blade, to be safe I wouldn’t go any wider on yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I believe a 350 has plenty of power to push a 60 inch blade, as long as your not running extra tall tires that is
the name of the game in plowing with a ATV is NOT waiting for snow to get too deep to move it easily,
staying on top of it with a few plows, is better than trying to move all in one deep snow fall! or in very WET heavy snows
MOST atv's on STOCK sized wheels will run out of traction before they run out of power to push things, so a 60 inch blade will be fine IMO, my 400 has pushed snow for 20 yrs with a 60 on it, never ever wished I had a smaller blade, MANY times I wish I had larger though!

and NOT all atv plow set up's are the same, some are rather cheesy and some better built
some are more user friendly and some are more simple and stronger due to it, but less user friendly!(well taking on and off bothers some with mid mounts)
MOST all atv's tend to need better shocks up front when adding a plow blade too

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
54/55 is the largest I would go on a 350. Power has nothing to do with it but weight does. If you have a heavy wet snow it's just going to spin you sideways when angled. I've used my 72 on my 420 rancher in light snow but it was an overkill for the machine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
you can always add weight if needed
in 20+ inch snow falls I have had to add 250+ lbs to push things, still had power though, weight was more for me for traction, and I might be wrong but I DON"T think a 400 foreman and a 350 have much difference in overall weight>
believe a 350 has lower gearing though, which would only help it push(minus not saying weight doesn't matter) but lower gearing allows for easy pushing /wear and tear on machine
Think tractor like deal!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I never had trouble pushing 20+ inches of snow with my old 350 and a 48” plow And never added weight to the rear; but I know I would have with a bigger plow. Putting a 60” plow on a 350 will also add much more weight to the front making the rear lift. With a 60” plow I would recommend a larger winch also like a 3500. A 2500 will be fine most of the time but my 2500 on my Rubicon struggles a little when there is a lot of wet heavy snow but the the 3500 on my Kodiak has no problems.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I never had trouble pushing 20+ inches of snow with my old 350 and a 48” plow And never added weight to the rear; but I know I would have with a bigger plow. Putting a 60” plow on a 350 will also add much more weight to the front making the rear lift. With a 60” plow I would recommend a larger winch also like a 3500. A 2500 will be fine most of the time but my 2500 on my Rubicon struggles a little when there is a lot of wet heavy snow but the the 3500 on my Kodiak has no problems.
OK please take this as info and not a bash or ??
but you do NOT need a 3500 lb winch to lift a plow blade, odds are a 500 lbs winch will lift it with any snow , as your NOT getting enough weight on a BLADE no matter how wet the snow is, plow blades really don;'t hold much snow. a larger winch will just draw more power and run a battery down more and tax your charging system

Now a 60 inch blade will add more weight to front end when traveling with blade UP, but the amount of weight savings from a 50 to a 60 inch blade is NOT that much, MAYBE 5-10 lbs difference if that?
so your splitting hairs , and again MOST atv's benefit from better shocks when you add a plow, to handle all the new added weight!
just s aa pickup truck will, to handle plow weight better!

ALL the more so when its a full front mount plow set up over a mid mount set yup(mid mounts help displace weight better by being under the middle of the atv as a fulcrum point, so less weight is actually on the front end at times, where a front mount , its ALL On the front end!

a 54-55 inch blade might be the more perfect size, but there harder to find and less selection of them IMO

I plow a lot, a few hundred miles a yr on my atv!
and many more with trucks, tractors, backhoes and skid steers
ATV will plow a lot more than most folks think they will!

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I use my winch for more than just plowing so I get one enough to pull out the machine. I get hard packed, wind blown snow so blade with is important to me. Other factors are moving snow around buildings with limited space, sidewalks and so on. All of this needs to be factored in to get what is best for the user. I have a 72 on my bigred muv, 60 on my 500 foreman.

I bragged up moose plows for years and still do. My 72 has lasted 2 years and was about junk. I rebuilt it in hopes of getting 2 more years out of it. My 60 has lasted over 10 years with only a bent push tube (my fault). I use them hard and for everything so they see use and abuse.

I will add I wish my 60 was a 50 or 55 for what I use it for now. It mostly gets used for gravel and tight area snow removal. I have the sxs for the open areas and it has heat.. lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK please take this as info and not a bash or ??
but you do NOT need a 3500 lb winch to lift a plow blade, odds are a 500 lbs winch will lift it with any snow , as your NOT getting enough weight on a BLADE no matter how wet the snow is, plow blades really don;'t hold much snow. a larger winch will just draw more power and run a battery down more and tax your charging system

Now a 60 inch blade will add more weight to front end when traveling with blade UP, but the amount of weight savings from a 50 to a 60 inch blade is NOT that much, MAYBE 5-10 lbs difference if that?
so your splitting hairs , and again MOST atv's benefit from better shocks when you add a plow, to handle all the new added weight!
just s aa pickup truck will, to handle plow weight better!

ALL the more so when its a full front mount plow set up over a mid mount set yup(mid mounts help displace weight better by being under the middle of the atv as a fulcrum point, so less weight is actually on the front end at times, where a front mount , its ALL On the front end!

a 54-55 inch blade might be the more perfect size, but there harder to find and less selection of them IMO

I plow a lot, a few hundred miles a yr on my atv!
and many more with trucks, tractors, backhoes and skid steers
ATV will plow a lot more than most folks think they will!
I don’t disagree with anything you said. I just didn’t explain my point well. I have always had the smallest Warn winch available on all of my ATV’s and they always did everything I needed them to do especially snow plowing. The 3500 lb winch (Warn VRX 35) I have now I like better than all I have used in the past especially with my new plow. So I was suggesting it for a bigger plow because I thought others would be happier with it also.

·
Registered
5 Posts

That’s a 60” tapered plow on my 350 with stock tires that need replacing. I’ve been plowing my 200 yard driveway with it for 8 years. Last year was the first time I thought I might need chains or new tires. You can see where I clipped a tree going through my trails and had enough power to bend the plow......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought chains for my Ruby last winter when the snow pack on my driveway turned to 5" of solid ice. The chains are nice when that happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We get a lot of snow where I’m at, lake effect, average around 150” a winter. Ran a 50 on a 420 rancher for a few years and at times it was a struggle. Currently running a 54 on a rubicon with tire chains and it does really well. Having low range is a big help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’m running a Warn front mount 60” on a 500 Foreman, 2500lb warn winch, with synthetic rope. I put 26” Rip Saw Tires on it. The Foreman has 4X4 lockers and has no problem pushing a 60” plow. I’m on uneven frozen dirt/gravel and can’t push at high speed. The newer 4X4 Honda‘s are way better in the snow, traction wise, than the 350 - 400 models. In the conditions that I’m plowing, you would struggle with a 60” and a 350. If you are on smooth ground and could get some speed, maybe not as much struggle. The 2500 winch handles the 60” without any strain...
AB5CA29E-4D8D-46DB-A39D-B5EA1950E764.jpeg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Rancher420AT and run a 54 inch Warn Provantage Blade with Front Mount setup. I also have a warn 2000lbs basic winch. The 54 is nice balance between the width of path being cleared and having maneuverability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts