Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was in Menards yesterday and putting together what I thought I needed for a snorkel. But I got this idea that I need to run by you guys. I was thinking that 2 or 2 1/2 inch is not big enough. So I was putting 3" together thinking the more air you can intake the better, right? The bigger the intake hole the more air that's going to go in right? Will it work any better?

·
Registered
195 Posts
what size pipe do i need to run so i want have to mess with the carb?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Don't think 3" will work any better. You are still limited to the size of the opening in the air box. As long as you go big enough not to reduce the air available to that opening you should be fine. Anything bigger should have no benefit.
I had the same idea about increasing airflow and power as a result. Tried turning the intake on the snorkle to face forward while riding at about 30 mph. Thought it might force air into the box similar to "ram air" or "forced induction" systems. Bike imediately lost power and sputtered. Turned it back around and it immediately went back to great performance. Maybe if you increased the opening in the air box and played mith the jetting you could see a difference with the larger pipe.
Just my .02 as they say.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Ram air" is what I was thinking too.

From what others are telling me on other sites, bigger don't mean better!

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE ("Coop":21u1a58o)
what size pipe do i need to run so i want have to mess with the carb?
1.5" is the size of the air box opening and diameter of the stock intake, you could most likely also get away with 2" and it not cause a problem. But you will not see a benefit of running 2", it will just be harder to snake around the engine.

·
Registered
670 Posts

1.5" may be the size of the opening but a piece of 2" pipe will fit in there with no problem....

the snorkel works better if there aren't any obstructions, the straighter the path to the airbox the better flow....i will need to redesign mine b/c it has too many bends in it...

but i have 2" coming out of the airbox and going up to the front.
it comes out of that little panel between the racks right in front of my thrid headlight...

go with 2"...

my dad and I both had stock bikes, the snorkel is the onlything i added on mine and i out ran his ass everytime....MORE FLOW! hahaha

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
I ran 1.5" to the fender then a 2" riser and did not have any rejetting issues. If you run a 2" all of the way then you will more then likely have to rejet. Not necessarily (sp) a bad thing. More air + more fuel equals more power. Just be careful when you do snorkel that your fuel mixture is correct if you run the motor too lean it can cause damage.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I thought there was a post on here somewhere from someone who ran 2 snorkles but had to cover 1 to get the bike to run right.
Cra5h has a good point about the straight runs of pipe. Too many bends or using flex pipe that is not smooth on the inside will reduce smooth airflow. Maybe not enough to make a difference but it will be less than what would be possible with straight runs and smooth bends.
I used 1 1/2 from the airbox to just beyond the front shock then 2" with one 90 elbow and didn't have to make any carb adjustments.

·
Registered
670 Posts

yeah i know a guy who has the same 2" setup as me and he gets more air than i do b/c i have a bunch of bends that go around my shock...his is straight from the fender to the airbox...

you can hear the difference in the snorkel when you give it gas...

his sucks harder than mine sorry, had to say it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i also saw a foreman with dual snorkels and it was a beast...bore kit and the works...he gave it gas at a dead stop and snapped an axle.

but he had two snorkels with no problems...i think he drilled a new hole and had two intakes into the air box...

i dunno...i'll ask him

·
Registered
560 Posts
The snorkle does sound pretty good when your on the throttle. I figured most wouldn't hear it sucking air over the HMF but with my stock exhaust it's really noticable.

·
Registered
308 Posts
QUOTE ("cra5h":rqvzhwwz)
i also saw a foreman with dual snorkels and it was a beast...bore kit and the works...he gave it gas at a dead stop and snapped an axle.

but he had two snorkels with no problems...i think he drilled a new hole and had two intakes into the air box...

i dunno...i'll ask him
Oh **** Yeah! I want to see a picture of that ride!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE ("bnjeep":2b4n9xax)
I ran 1.5" to the fender then a 2" riser and did not have any rejetting issues.
I like this idea the best. I don't want to go fingering in the carb yet. I would have no idea if it is running to lean or to rich, how can you tell?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Check the plug.

·
Registered
148 Posts
white is lean
black is rich.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
bnjeep, you said up at the top that you have to be careful not to run the motor too lean? I just put on a 2" snorkle, and was wondering how to tell whether it is running too lean? also, does anyone know the part number for the NGK Iridium plug for the 06 500. I saw it on one of the forums, but can't find it now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok sorry, just read some more and got the answer to the question about running lean or rich, but still need the part number. the guys at autozone have no idea even how to find it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
BKR5EIX-11, ITS A 5464. hope this helps

bowz

·
Registered
670 Posts
s

the plug info is in your owners manual also...

i talked to the guy with the dual snorkels and he was trying to sell it and it got stolen...

someone cut the chains to the trailer and stole that sucker...

he had a big bore kit with a piston from a small block chevy in it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.