Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I’ve got a 2013 Foreman 500. At the end of the last ride it was sputtering, bogging down, and then would not start. When trying to start it, I noticed that it seem to be pushing air back into the airbox. This made me suspect that the valve timing was now somehow off. I removed the engine from the bike and set it on my trusty workbench. Upon removal of the front crankcase cover, I saw that my timing chain was so stretched out that the tensioner was out all the way, and the valve timing had jumped significantly. Needless to say, I ordered a new timing chain and some O-rings to put everything back together. Then I spent the better part of a day putting the engine back on the bike, connecting all the hoses and wires, and was feeling pretty good about things. Then I started it for the first time. For about the first 10 seconds or so of running, the exhaust was crystal clear, nothing at all seemed wrong. But after about 10 seconds it started to smoke, and kept smoking, bad. After about 30 minutes of running (to see if it would clear up) I checked the oil, it was almost a quart low now. It smoked so much that it fouled the plug. If I let the bike sit for a while, when I start it again, no smoke for about 10 seconds. Then nothing but smoke. Knowing that something had to be wrong, I pulled the head and cylinder back off with the engine still on the bike. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was that the combustion chamber area was dripping wet with fresh oil. I could find nothing out of the ordinary with things as I disassembled the top end. Thinking that it may help, I replaced the valve stem seals. I put everything back together and had the same results, smoking horribly. What am I missing? I am at my wits end. I’m usually pretty good about finding and correcting issues, but this one has me scratching my head. BTW, The bike was not smoking at all before the timing chain issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, so I’ve got a 2013 Foreman 500. At the end of the last ride it was sputtering, bogging down, and then would not start. When trying to start it, I noticed that it seem to be pushing air back into the airbox. This made me suspect that the valve timing was now somehow off. I removed the engine from the bike and set it on my trusty workbench. Upon removal of the front crankcase cover, I saw that my timing chain was so stretched out that the tensioner was out all the way, and the valve timing had jumped significantly. Needless to say, I ordered a new timing chain and some O-rings to put everything back together. Then I spent the better part of a day putting the engine back on the bike, connecting all the hoses and wires, and was feeling pretty good about things. Then I started it for the first time. For about the first 10 seconds or so of running, the exhaust was crystal clear, nothing at all seemed wrong. But after about 10 seconds it started to smoke, and kept smoking, bad. After about 30 minutes of running (to see if it would clear up) I checked the oil, it was almost a quart low now. It smoked so much that it fouled the plug. If I let the bike sit for a while, when I start it again, no smoke for about 10 seconds. Then nothing but smoke. Knowing that something had to be wrong, I pulled the head and cylinder back off with the engine still on the bike. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was that the combustion chamber area was dripping wet with fresh oil. I could find nothing out of the ordinary with things as I disassembled the top end. Thinking that it may help, I replaced the valve stem seals. I put everything back together and had the same results, smoking horribly. What am I missing? I am at my wits end. I’m usually pretty good about finding and correcting issues, but this one has me scratching my head. BTW, The bike was not smoking at all before the timing chain issue. Any ideas?
Did you check rings it sounds like they are stuck or broken I had the exact same issue with my foreman interested in what you find let me know how it goes hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts