Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 01 Foreman from a dealer (my first machine). Took it out for the first ride yesterday and the thing blows so much blue smoke I can't see or breathe! Power output seems good. Climbs without hesitation, purrs like a kitten at idle but smokes under load. I made a personal pact that I would do all mechanical work myself because I'm eager to learn but I think this fix could be a little more than I can chew so early in the game. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and he gave me the "buyer beware" lecture. Makes me mad but I guess he's right.
I assume I'm gonna need a top end rebuild. Or at least piston rings and/or valve stem guides/ seals. Can anyone give me a ballpark cost estimate. Also, should I consider having it bored out?
Greatly appreciated,

FernieForeman

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Sometimes people that have swamped there bikes will throw a fresh set of rings in them and trade them in for a new one. Not saying this is your problems. But I would at least pull the clutch cover off the front to make sure the bottom end is not full of mud or sand.

Your looking at around $250 for just parts on a overbore, piston kit and top end gks. kit. I would hate to see you spend the money on a topend rebuild and it start smoking again in aweek or so. I would also sujest a manual if your planning on doing the repairs yourself or at least borrow one..

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Allhonda is right, I didn't even think to ask how long you had it. Unless it was stated on the paper work, bought as is. I would go through all the papers to see if it states anything on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.