Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the stats: 2004 Honda Foreman 450ES, 220 hours, bone stock, no mods. Running Amsoil ATV, but it used to do it with Honda oil as well.

So from a cold start and a cold start only, after it has run a bit and achieved power in 1st gear, it will not do this again for the day.

I walk out to the shed, start her up. Once its warm and choke is off, I shift into reverse and back it out with zero problems and normal power.

Here's where it gets strange. I shift into first gear(shifts perfectly, smooth but crisp)...when i try to accelerate, she won't move forward(it would do the same in 2nd as well). If i keep slightly revving the throttle, maybe 800-1000rpms for about 10 seconds it will slowly start to creep forward and gradually be at normal power. Once it has gone through this once, its good to go. I could shut it down immediately after its gone through this, and it would start up and have proper power immediately. Aside to this it runs/shifts great. I'm just trying to fix small problems before they turn into big ones.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wonder if the auto clutch needs adjusting. Sounds like if it slips enough from dead cold it heats up just enough to get the plates in spec to grab. You can find the clutch adjustment in the manual. It's on the left side of engine toward front I believe

Reactions: maineHF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder if the auto clutch needs adjusting. Sounds like if it slips enough from dead cold it heats up just enough to get the plates in spec to grab. You can find the clutch adjustment in the manual. It's on the left side of engine toward front I believe
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give that a shot, and let you know how it turned out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's slipping then gradually grabbing more after holding higher then idle rpm your wet clutch may be burnt up
Would that make sense considering it only does it at cold start?? It only does it once per day, I could work the quad pulling all day and it will never do it beyond that initial cold start first thing. It will never do it after the initial cold start. ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give that a shot, and let you know how it turned out.
[/QUOT
That did the trick. 100% fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a little late but that's great glad I could be of help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts