1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm all stock underneath, but highlifter has some diamond plated bash plates and boot guards. They package it all together. The price is reasonable. The website doesn't have many pics of the specific packages, maybe they are still adding stuff. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Ricochet chasis and swing arm skid plates on my 450s and I have been very pleased with them. The only problem is you have to remove them to change your diff. fluid so use some never seize on the blots. The chasis skid will trap alot of mud but mine have taken a beating and held up well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
anybody make their own skidplates out of lexan or poly--------- plastic? i'd like to try but i'm not sure which material & where to get it? i understand that plastics will return to their original shape after impact, as opposed to metals that retain dents. would slide well over logs & rocks, too. just one of the things i would like to the foreman soon. let me know if anyone has any experience with this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i used hi-density plastic wich i know as "petex".commonly used on the underside of air boats and dog sleds up here in alaska.i went with 3/8" thickness and its one continious piece from back of motor skidplate to up front under winch fairlead.the skid goes over the stock motor skid plate but the front stock was removed first.countersunk bolt mount holes with a forsner bit and used a hole saw for oil and front diff drains.i put it on before first ride when new and its seen plenty of abuse in 3 years and has held up fantastic....and yes, you slide over what others cant.

·
Registered
65 Posts
that sounds fantastic! alot of logs & rocks here. how did you bend it? i've read some plastics can be heated, while others need to be scored. i'm looking forward to making one of these, thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
448 Posts
skid plate

not hard to do.mine is on a 2002 450 es and the only bend is in the front where it angles up towards the winch fairlead.clamp it down on an edge where you want the bend and apply heat until you get it moving but not too close with the heat.in my opinion there is no better option for skid plate material.look through the yellow pages under plastics and see what you can come up with and tell them you want the hi-density(tuff as a cutting board).im making one for a 300 i p/u for my wife the other day and i will try to take pics and post if i can figure out how to post.im using 1/4" thickness for hers.hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
nothin' in the yellow pages here under "plastics", but i thought i'd try a couple scrap/recycling places on monday. can you think of any other uses of this type of material? i think the airboats & dog sleds would be limited to your area. just trying to think of where i would be likely to find some around here. is there a specific reason why you covered over the stock motor skid plate, instead of removing it first? i guess it would only be 3/8" of ground clearance, but just thought i'd ask.

·
Registered
448 Posts
first,leaving the stock motor skid on b4 putting on plastic skid willnot add an additional 3/8" of ground clearence lost.stock skid is thin sheet metal and just serves as a surface for the plastic to be pulled into so it doesnt get sucked in from over tightening the mounting bolts.this is just the way i went about it,you could dream up almost anything really.materials arent cheap and cost roughly 50-60 bucks to do one skid.

·
Registered
448 Posts
sorry,thats the 91' 300 i justp/u for my wife and if i get time to make a skid today for it ill take pics for you if you want.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the '91 looks to be in great shape. i found a '90 bayou for my son in same condition. it's rare around here for an atv NOT to be abused after 10+ years. if you have time, pics would be much appreciated. so you made new holes in the stock skid to attach the plastic skid? thanks again for helping me out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i think the aluminum skids look great. but, the terrain here is unforgiving & mine wouldn't stay looking that good for very long. i've tried to "baby" my 2nd front bash plate, but it now looks worse than the original that i replaced it with. just having trouble locating some material to work with.

·
Registered
448 Posts
didnt tackle skid for 300 today but heres how the one on the 450 looks from front.

·
Registered
448 Posts
another pic,use mount holes from stock skids....4 under motor and 2 up front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if anyone is looking for a custom skid plate send me a email. ive built custom bash guards out of 3/16" mild plate stock to bolt right up. ive built them with what i call " frame saver design" which wraps around the front to protect it. they are really a bullet proof design! Im a welder/fabricator and been doing it for a long time, so i know what im doing. I even make them to exept fairleads for winches and custom tow hooks. Contact me for more info and pics.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I'll take some. When do you want to start on them. Especially a bash plate.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Superforeman, i sent you an e-mail last week, i'm interested in a hook holster type front skid if you can make one and one that i can paint black.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Finally got time to do skid for 300 today

Hey stray,its been awhile but i finally had time to do the skid for my wifes 300 today and ill post pics incase your still trying to make one yourself.Took me a little longer this time as the front skid is tack welded to the front bumper on the 300 so had to dissemble a little more and go over front skid as well.but qite pleased of the outcome.I use stainless bolts for these and make sure to use some anti-sieze when reassmbling to make it easier to remove later on down the line.My 450 has had 3 years of hammering against rocks on moose hunts and other trips and honestly is straight as new underneith when removed.....hope this helps,let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.