Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found that the Shift Plate Bolt sheared off next to the hex head, thereby causing shifting problems. From the black residue showing on the sheared portion of the bolt, it appears that it must have been cracked for a long time or may have been a flaw in the bolt as there is only a tiny portion that indicates where it recently failed. I need to remove both clutches so that the Shift Plate assembly can be removed; top portion of sifting plate assembly (with small spring attachment) binds on the underside of the clutch, preventing the Shift Plate assembly from being removed. I tried forcing the plate from under the clutch as one old Thread comment had indicated, but am unwilling to exert the force necessary to do so as I can foresee possible further damage. Before I start removing the clutches, my question are:
1. Do the main hold-down nuts, on the shafts for both clutches, have right-hand or left-hand threads?
2. When the clutches are removed, do they come out easily as separate complete units or do internal portions of the clutches fall apart into many pieces?
Note: Although I have rebuilt several automobile engines in the past, this is my first time of working on a Honda 4x4. Therefore, I am trying to be cautious and do things correctly.
I hope someone can answer my two questions as I would like to place a single order for all parts I find that need replacement. I hereby thank whoever in advance, for any information they can provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not hard to all you will need is a 27mm socket impact gun and small hammer (most of the time) if yours is a foreman 450 it's left to loosen on both so normal threads on both just grip the clutch and use the impact to pop it right off same for both, I did find that it's best to keep the centrifugal clutch on till you get the other clutch nut off to just hold the clutch further out and zip the other nut off to (they are both staked but the impact I used didn't have a problem with that:) if yours can't do it try unstaking them just tap on the centrifugal clutch from behind (one further towards you) just try to tap and pull if that don't work get jaw clamp with 3 arms if you know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I put mine together I didn't put the pin in the star gear. I didn't want to take the clutches off again if I didn't have to. I pulled off the clutch arm and was able to move things out of the way just enough to slip the washer off the star gear and install the pin. Had to pin back the spring loaded arm with a screwdriver. If your quad has a skid plate take it off. It makes getting at the lower case bolts a lot easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the helpful information. You made my day a pleasant one. I was able to remove the centrifugal clutch with a 3 jaw puller, after removing the nut by turning it counterclockwise with an impact tool as suggested. The other clutch came off easily (without a puller and without removing the square plate having underlying springs) as a complete unit, after removing it's nut by turning counterclockwise also. I then removed the shift plate assembly and fortunately was able to remove the sheared off bolt with vice grips. New nuts for the clutches, shift plate bolt, gaskets, etc. are now on order. I hope to have my ATV running again next week. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received all the ordered parts. Delays were encountered in trying to get them installed, due to other unexpected commitments. Finished putting everything together tonight and was able to shift up and down through all gears without any issues. I plan to take it for a test run tomorrow morning. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the same issue. Wouldn't shift under 2nd gear. Shifted into 2,3,4,5 fine. Tore everything apart. The shift plate bolt was sheared off. We were able to remove the remainder of the bolt. Need to replace. Any idea of the dimensions of that bolt or does it need to be ordered from dealer?

95701-06020-00 is the part number from a diagram I found online. Not sure if it was from the manual.

Quick fix would be great, but can order one if necessary.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts