Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time lurker first time posting. I was curious if anyone had any luck with using seafoam to clean there efi engines? I know it works well as a fuel stabilizer, but I have a new to me 2012 honda foreman in decent condition I'd like to try seafoam but am curious if it's worth it. Thanks alll

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why would you need seafoam in an injected 4 stroke? What are you trying to clean out? These engines run extremely clean.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It will help keep the valves and combustion chamber clean, and as stabilizer in storage help prevent the injector clogging with corn syrup. Use as directed, in the correct amount.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seafoam is a mix of pale oil, naphtha, isopropyl alcohol and water. There are much better additives out there than this stuff. I’ve used it in 2 stroke outboard fuel to try to clean out combustion deposits, with mixed results. I would not use this as an additive in an injected 4 stroke, especially in the oil system...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pull enough heads off engines, and it's easy to see carbon is a problem, just shop for some used heads on ebay and you'll see it. Then there's ethanol which turns to corn syrup in about 2-3 months. Add in people that run premium gas, equals more carbon. Seafoam has worked well for me, if there's something better and not $20/oz, I'll take a look at it.

On a ride one day and a pilot jet partially clogged. Just happened that I had seafoam already in the tank. Kept riding, slowing down and speeding up, so to keep the pilot jet in play. After about 20 minutes, the pilot jet was clear again. This is a machine that's a real &%#@x to pull the two carbs, seafoam keeps that from happening. Only takes a month or two in storage with no stabilizer to get the carbs gummed up.

Injectors have the same tiny passages that are easy to clog.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I also use Seafoam, it has always performed good for me better than other similar brands. i use it in all my seasonal engines also to keep the crappy gas from going bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used Seafoam in all my 2 and 4 cycle engines for several years and since I've started using it I haven't needed to service ANY of my motors except for oil and filters.

My lawn mower doesn't typically get started for almost 6 months in the winter and it starts right up in the spring if I used Seafoam.

BTW.... Except for my pickups I only use gas with no ethanol in all my motors too. Makes a huge difference.

If you want to have to rebuild your carb every few years then try using ethanol gas and no Seafoam and you'll quickly find out that Seafoam is free to use in the long run and your stuff starts and runs well when you want to use it with no trouble at all every time.

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
I think I'm the only person in the world that uses 10% gas, no treatments and have no problems. Most of my machines get used at least once a month but some sit through the season.

I wont use stabil. I dont know if people use too much or what but I clean a lot of carbs because of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I think I'm the only person in the world that uses 10% gas, no treatments and have no problems. Most of my machines get used at least once a month but some sit through the season.

I wont use stabil. I dont know if people use too much or what but I clean a lot of carbs because of it.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever test the local gas for ethanol? Wondering how much, if any, is actually in the gas.

I know the guy here said that sometimes his regular pump has ethanol in it, and sometimes it doesn't. Whatever shows up goes in the E10 tank if it's empty.

He has a separate ethanol free pump that I use in all my small engines. The gas just lasts longer. I can store the ethanol free gas for over a year with no additives. If I do that with E10 my small stuff won't even start on it.

I get more MPG using the ethanol free too, if I put it in my daily driver. That said, with the additional cost of the ethanol free my price per mile stays about the same.

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
My 10% can range from 1% to about 5% most of the time. I can't say I have ran across a true 10% yet. I dont have to use thermoaid anymore for moisture though..

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I was running boats, I don't think Seafoam was around, just Stabil. If I missed getting the Stabil into the carbs, it was a sure thing it wouldn't run at all until all six carbs were cleaned.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Why do you think it’s the Stabil that is causing the dirty carb issues?
I have used Stabil for decades in everything with no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think i am on the right track because the bike wants to fire. Now you may be asking "why not sent it back to the dealer". Because it would cost the guy about $700 in shipping to send it back there and it is just not realistic for him. Any advice you could give me on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated.
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

1 - 13 of 13 Posts