Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd tell about a rally this past weekend at Bronson Forest Recreation Area in northern Saskatchewan. Every year a local Kinsmen club has a fundraiser ATV rally that I try to attend when I can. I missed last year after 9 yrs in a row, so I just had to attend this year.There were 625 others registered. I went with 2 family men that I went to school with , both have older quads I've sold when upgrading , a 1986 350 honda.and a 94 Kodiak. I told them no wives or kids...lol.We left at about 11am on a 65 km route...In the first major puddle, the kodiak decides to go through the deepest spot... as in standing on the seat so he doesn't get wet and just as the motor dies, he remembers he doesn't have a bottom airbox plug and sucked in a blast of water. I get out the tow rope and pull him out of the water. He wrings out his air filter and pulls the spark plug, turns it over sqirting water but won't start.It was an omen.... I should have known.... So we pull start it towing and keep going down the trail. Trails were well worn because we were late leaving and those knarly mud tires were making the holes deeper and deeper. We like to boogie so there was alot of going around stuck people . On one trail ,suddenly the front driveshaft of the Kodiak wouldn't turn and we still hadn't gone 40 km and/or the halfway campfire (turns out it was at 45 km mark). The 86Honda had burnt an entire tank and half a 10 litre jerry can, the Kodiak was on reserve, so we left it and doubled up to the campfire after marking the location on GPS. At the campfire,(it is now 6 pm) there were lots of broken quads and hot dogs with iced tea.... It's amazing how good fare like that is after beating your self down the trail. We bought 5 litres fuel for the honda then after consulting with the rally organizers as to what roads to use to get back there tomorrow by truck, we high tailed it to the end barbeque and prizes.... usually cash and accessories that we didn't win but all finishers got a 20th anniversary t-shirt anyways.We load at 8 pm and get home at 10. The next day we met several groups retrieving units while retieving ours. We took off one wheel and ran the winch cable of the kodiak to the back rack of another and pulled/pushed 4.8km though swamp to get to the trucks. I also talked to others who spent till 1:30 am just getting to the camp fire halfway point, all that was left was buns and ketchup, no fuel for sale and a roaring campfire and at least 50 people waiting to be picked up. others got lost and stayed overnight, some machines are still out on the trail a week later. This is one rally to remember...If I get the pics the one guy took I'll post them because a picture says a million words IMO

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That sounds insane. If you leave your bike in the woods around here, its either gone when you come back or torched.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sound's like a rough day of riding.Been there and done that,makes you wish you stayed home, right.You can't leave your atv in the woods here either,they will steal it with a big truck or a large buggie.Unless you have full coverage insurance on the quad...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The mud looks like fun up there. I can't beleive there is still snow up there.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
That mud in the first picture That looks challenging

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
looks cold bbbrrrrrrrr, but very fun

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rally time pics

vandalism and theft aren't a worry,the worst problem is if the bears find your quad first, they usually eat the seats and tires, and anything they can sink their teeth into..lol

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
the bears find your quad first, they usually eat the seats and tires, and anything they can sink their teeth into..lol

greeeaatt, And i thought the snakes were a problem down here!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have freinds that had seats eaten by rats, out in Holipaw.

Oh by the way, it looks too dang cold to be that wet and muddy!

But it looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I never pictured mud trails like that in Canada.That looks like the trails down in South.Fl in the tree trails.Just not as cold though,right.Good pics!!!!!Looks like good riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts