Honda Foreman Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Scott ..... could you run a thicker head gasket to drop the compression a little bit?
that another thought the wiseco one that come with them it think like 3x the thickness of stock metal one. ihad to disassemble it becuase the cylinder had a small score in it and i wanted the machine shop to check it out so on assembly i used a regular metal head gasket

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Forgot to post a follow up.
Took the valve cover off and the ex valve was way loose.
Set it to.006 and she's running great.
Getting ready to load it up....One more lap around the yard. Shkreeee... LR axle bearing blew out.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Forgot to post a follow up.
Took the valve cover off and the ex valve was way loose.
Set it to.006 and she's running great.
Getting ready to load it up....One more lap around the yard. Shkreeee... LR axle bearing blew out.
wish mine was that simple.....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
a little update checked the timing it was perfect also pulled the head piston cylinder all looks good nothing unusual. i would double the cylinder head gaskets but why would it run perfect then start acting up?

with the icm should it start sparking instantly when i hit the starter button? seems im getting a ton of spark and doesn't really stop between strokes if that makes sense? i figured it would only spark on the compression stroke and not all the time i understand it would have to spark a lot at higher rpms but at idle seems like its a lot

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just got done trying to double up on head gaskets thinking it may have to much compression made no difference still getting hot quick and exhaust still glows. Any thoughts on the icm like a mentioned above? Any other ideas? Pretty much done and ready to sell and move on with this machine it been a money pit sense day 1. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was looking around about this topic, and I came across a sport quad thread, 450r. He had the same situation, glowing red after any type of riding, will happen 10 minutes after he cranks up. Almost all of them said that it would be fine if it doesn't hurt how it runs, as long as it doesn't go 4-5 inches from the cylinder. There may be something I'm missing, but the same thing could apply here. The wall of your pipe could just be thinner. Here's the link if you want to check it out, just thought I'd mention it.

exhaust glowing bright red - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
well pulled the cylinder head again to take one cylinder gasket off but this time i noticed a small puddle of oil on top of the piston now i do remember having a small amount be4 but didn't think anything of it till now. i also pulled the cylinder looks ok. now im debating if i should go back to stock and bore to the next size up or what i should do

·
Registered
118 Posts
I seriously think you should try repacking the exhaust. Its only about $20 and if it hasn't been repacked in a while it wont absorb the heat and cause the outside canister to get hot

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I seriously think you should try repacking the exhaust. Its only about $20 and if it hasn't been repacked in a while it wont absorb the heat and cause the outside canister to get hot
i dont think its the muffler its hasnt changed tone and doesn't sound hallow when i tap on it. the pipe will glow without the muffler even on

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
another update checked everything from timing to top end even cleaned the carb and its still doing it exhaust glows after a bit of ridding it will glow about 6" down the pipe and make crackling sounds in the exhaust cant figure this out carb is clean been apart several times and soaked also swapped with another carb still does it tried going richer and leaner with jets makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Did this only start after the hc piston? Or had u run that piston before and the issues just started one day?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
i feel like it started about a month or so after the HC piston was installed

·
Registered
2 Posts
compression is 120 psi, oil pump works as it came out the top when i adjusted the valves and started it for a sec.
yeah all the help is much appreciated i want to get back out ridding a couple friends went out today but not me. think the next step might be checking time and maybe pulling the head.
i was wondering if you ever figured out the answer my 05 500 is doing the same thing it started out as a top end job put new piston and cylinder bore new valves it started glowing I talked to a few ppl they said it was running lean I've made it run leaner made it run richer by jumping jet sizes just made it run like crap. I've tried with air box with out air box put extra socks over air filter to make it run richer checked to see if the muffler was clogged nothing worked so I figured they bored it over to much so I bought everything stock size did the same thing tried everything once again never fixed the problem the last guy I talked to said I'm positive it your timing chain so I put new timing chain didn't fix the problem I've tried everything I can think of now I'm wondering if it's something in the crankcase idk I'm ready to give up and just ride it till it blows up lol you could gather around this thing and have a camp fire off this exhaust lol like I said the only thing I can think of is crank case is building pressure and pushing oil into piston area idk if that's possible or not the only other thing I can think of is cdi idk plz tell me you figured something out I've worked on thing thing for hours and past tired of it any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
If this engine is like most Honda quads it has an oil cooler, I wonder if it's working properly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this engine is like most Honda quads it has an oil cooler, I wonder if it's working properly?
I've taken off the oil lines to see if the oil pump was working you can also feel it going through the hose and after all that when I changed the timing chain I replaced it with a new oil pump so I wouldn't think that would be the problem thanks for the response I've called honda in lousiana Colorado and California to speak with mechanics only one of them said they think my choke was stuck so I took it completely off still didn't fix the problem I've never been the type to send my bike in to the shop but thing im going to send it in just to see if those guy can figure it out with the bike in front of them hopefully they wont break the bank with the trouble shooting I'm sure it will be one of those things where it wont glow while in front of the mechanic lol but if they happen to figure it out I'll let everybody know what they say maybe its something simple maybe it's something I've already tried idk but we will see

·
Registered
139 Posts
It couldn't hurt to have another set of eyes having a look, hopefully it isn't too costly! The only other thing that comes to mind is a broken exhaust baffle which would cause a lot of back pressure. My Rubicon 500 had an annoying squeak coming from the exhaust so I replaced it with a Supertrapp pipe and it works great.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts