Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did some searching but couldn't find anything that matches my issues.
so a few months ago i bored my foreman and put in a wiseco HC piston everything went fine ran great but now i seem to be having issues. my exhaust will turn cherry red after about a min of running at about 1/4 throttle im also getting some strange sounds in the exhaust. i took the exhaust off to check for any cracks couldn't find any. i did start it up for a few secs and a flame about 5" is coming out the exhaust port. normal? my jetting has been the same with no issues. it starts right up no hesitations or backfiring. i dont think its out of time cause it runs good but it gets hot quick. iv checked for intake for leaks couldn't find any, checked to make sure i didn't have a bad/bent exhaust valve, i took the carb off and cleaned it. iv also noticed oil in the air box but i think i might have overfilled it last oil change
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oil in the box is just something I've seen a couple times but not enough to be concerned about. As for the red exhaust you might want to check the valves and make sure they're in spec. Also you might want to look into repacking the exhaust. My exhaust came with a piece of paper saying if the packing gets worn out it doesn't absorb heat and causes heating and discoloring.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
valves have been set to .006 on the compression stroke. exhaust packing is good

·
Registered
11 Posts
A glowing red exhaust is a sign of a lean running condition.
Causes can be intake leaks, wrong carb jets, incorrect timing (advanced).

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a jetting issue been jetted for pipe same jetting all along no issues this just started after ridding last weekend. I don't think a lean condition would cause flame to come out the exhaust port

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Pull the spark plug and check it. It should be brownish not white or black. Any time you have flames your running to lean and you need more fuel or less air which more fuel would be your best bet (bigger main jet) good luck buddy I hate messing with jetting

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pull the spark plug and check it. It should be brownish not white or black. Any time you have flames your running to lean and you need more fuel or less air which more fuel would be your best bet (bigger main jet) good luck buddy I hate messing with jetting
i hate jetting too. isnt the flame unburned fuel? plugs grayish in color. brown plug color is for 2 strokes i thought. im gonna dig into the carb tonight i have a 137.5 main in it now only mod is the pipe and hc piston i go through so much fuel as it is now a cant imagine putting in a bigger main

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does your oil look normal or is it black and thin looking ?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
not so much help, but a question, ??
is your fan turning on while its getting so hot?
I don't think the small fan is going to help a bunch, but?? might be a small part?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah fans working. it gots hot quick i can start it and at 1/4 throttle have it cherry red in 45 sec

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bigger main seemed to have no effect

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
any chance there is something in the exhaust?? cause poor flow and thus heat build up??
I know up my way, mice like to crawl in theer at times and can store crap too

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
If ya have flames coming from exhaust and its using lots of fuel sounds to me its dumping to much fuel in at 1/4 throttle.. can ya try another (stock jet) carb?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i can try stock jets it will do it no matter what throttle position except idle but it does get hot quick at idle plug shows a little lean but i tried bigger jet with no effect

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any chance there is something in the exhaust?? cause poor flow and thus heat build up??
I know up my way, mice like to crawl in theer at times and can store crap too
nope nothing i have flame coming out of the exhaust port with no exhaust even on it

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
messed with it some more today still no change no matter what jetting i try still getting hot very quick. im starting to think its the wiseco high compression piston.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I was just going to tell you to take a compression test
and get a reading
as way too much compression could be an issue maybe?
i'm no engine builder
but if its getting red hot that fast
heat is building inside it seems
are you sure the oil pump is working and moving oil?
what oil are you using/
not that I think any brand oil is a fix here, but good syn oil does help SLIGHTLY help a motor run cooler
and sounds like you need all the help you can get

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
compression is 120 psi, oil pump works as it came out the top when i adjusted the valves and started it for a sec.
yeah all the help is much appreciated i want to get back out ridding a couple friends went out today but not me. think the next step might be checking time and maybe pulling the head.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts