Honda Foreman Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
well, the only times i've used the winch on my rubi was on my dad's '95 kingquad 300. we got it stuck in snow on purpose so we could test the winch. put the parking brake on on the rubi and winched it about half way out, then the rubi was pulling forward. so i got on and put her in reverse and pulled the kingquad right out. the onther time is a buried my kawasaki bayou in snow and hooked up the winch, same thing. pulled it half way, then put it in reverse and all the way. its the first quad me or my dad have ever had with a winch, and it is awesome! i think either a foreman or a rubi, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rubicon is my choice. I have a Rubicon and the wife has a Rancher. The Rubicon has a low range which is really nice for pulling and crawlling along. As far as the over heating I have read about on here, I have never had that problem. I have had it now 5 years with zero problems.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
im startin to think we have some under cover phoo owners here....mine never overheats either.....lol:blink: Im just sayn...:happy

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Amen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i think he had alot of old built up mud and maybe a coolant leak i dont know im not knocking the rubi i just used to have a polaris sportsman 700 i loved the bike rode good a beast in the mud when u got it stuck it was stuck and u had to get a truck to get it out but the POS overheated so much always running hot or the thermostat to tell the fan to come on would burn up...

all in all it ruined me for a liquid cooled atv.

·
Registered
83 Posts
well I have an 05 ruby with about 2000 miles on it and never had any issues with the radiator or fan. It lives in the water and mud.. but after I ride, I always keep it clean!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got ya. My uncle has one of those and I think it has only 400 miles on it, still the original tires from when he bought it new. When I bought mine I didnt want power steering because thats just another thing to break or go bad, I know what you mean. Happieness through simplicity.
I like your closing quote. I’ve been the regular repair chick for a horse rescue’s 2003 Foreman ES, and I am in love with it. I don’t own an ATV (can’t afford one yet unless I sell my Shadow ACE, & that’s not gonna happen soon)

since I can fix just about anything on the ‘03, I’m wondering if I should just find one of the same year, even if I could get a newer one instead when I get some dough.

Mia there THAT much of a difference mechanically, in being able to DIY a newer one? I’m old school and like the fact that if I have to, I could rebuild my carb myself.

thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2003 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500cc trx500fa3, I think one has a solid axle and the other does not but there are models that are both foreman and Rubicon at least mine is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like your closing quote. I’ve been the regular repair chick for a horse rescue’s 2003 Foreman ES, and I am in love with it. I don’t own an ATV (can’t afford one yet unless I sell my Shadow ACE, & that’s not gonna happen soon)

since I can fix just about anything on the ‘03, I’m wondering if I should just find one of the same year, even if I could get a newer one instead when I get some dough.

Mia there THAT much of a difference mechanically, in being able to DIY a newer one? I’m old school and like the fact that if I have to, I could rebuild my carb myself.

thoughts?
Depends how much you are willing to spend, if you can afford to get a new ATV with fuel injection power steering I would go for it. They get a lot more power these days. Plus they have 4x4 lockout alrdy snorkel, rad relocated. But if you don't have that much money I would definitely get an older machine and plan on doing those things. Plus buying new tires, winch and a tiger tail. I have a 2003 Honda foreman rubicon and I have seen a 4 x 4 lock out for them. I'm in the midst of tareing mine apart and doing plastics and racks, I have rebuilt my carb but need to buy the kit with the new parts to rebuild it. looking into brake lights n turn signals, heated grips, hand guards, heated seat . I would love a tiger tail. I have already added new winch new snorkel with all vent lines. Welded some grab bars on the back rack and bolted a brace for the passenger seat, custom footrest with grip tape for the back passenger, side marker lights reverse lights, rear disc brakes, front drums rebuilt. New petcock valve.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go new, I have the 2015 Rubicon and the 2018 Foreman. The 2015‘s and on have the full locker setup. I’ve also kept an 08 Rancher because of the smaller frame size. All of these are manual shift, wouldn’t go any other way...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts