Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just found & joined the forum tonight. Hope to spend more time here in the future.

Sure do need some help with my Rubicon.

I have a 2005 Rubicon and it has the tranny that you can switch from automatic to electric shift and do your own shifting. This afternoon I was going to ride it out in my pasture to check my cows and realized that it has a problem. It will not shift gears at all. The transmission is stuck in the lowest gear and it will not shift when you have it in automatic, whether it's in D1 or D2. So, I switched it to ESP mode and it will not shift when it is ESP mode either. Still stuck in the lowest gear. On the display there is the following image/message and it flashes repeatably:

- -
ESP
D1 D2

I got my owners manual out and found where the shift motor has a 30 amp fuse. I checked the fuse and it is good, not blown. I was sure hoping that would be the problem but it was not.

I have not ridden it in about 2 months as it has been in my garage and I have been too busy to do any riding but the last time I used it all was well. I bought this ATV brand new and this is the first problem I have had with it.

Can anyone give me any idea's or thoughts as to what the problem may be?

Thanks for any help.

Cuz-Pat

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum
check all the connections at the battery and charge up the battery and see what happens

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Welcome Dude !! I'll second that!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
rock the quad side to side, if not take key out. then try

will it start? and I'm pretty sure thats your angle sensor acting up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ATV starts up just fine. Pull the choke out, hit the electric start button and it starts right up. Motor turns over freely and quickly, no lugging or dragging. Would not think that it would be a battery connection problem or a low battery either.

But, I am not an ATV mechanic. That's why I came here, to look for advice.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
i have seen honda atvs that start up great but will not shift so........this is a CHEEP place to start (it did sit for a few months didnt it?)
is there a code blinking on the dash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, there is a code blinking on the display. I put that info in the first post above. Here is what is blinking:

- -
ESP
D1 D2

Tomorrow I will disconnect the battery, clean all connections and hook it back up. I'll also put a charger on the battery. I am willing to try any suggestions given to me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is a 2005 model. That service manual only goes through 2003 on the Rubicon. Wonder if that will matter?

·
Registered
766 Posts
its the angle sensor. mine got wet ones from water riding and i had to let it dry not sure in your case

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Check your oil level too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
pm me can forward 2005 Rubicon Service manual if u need

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, but nothing is blinking on my dash. I just have d1 d2 esp when i put it in drive..but it won't get out of first gear...now when i put it in low it works perfect.....I need help also so if anyone has any ideas i'm willing to try also...

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
wet rubicon...

Mine is doing the same thing, but nothing is blinking on my dash. I just have d1 d2 esp when i put it in drive..but it won't get out of first gear...now when i put it in low it works perfect.....I need help also so if anyone has any ideas i'm willing to try also...
Mine only seems to be doing this when it's wet.....once it dries out it's fine. So I assume it's getting in to a connector. Bought some dielectric grease....anyone have any tips on applying it and getting to every connector...do i have to take plastic off and what's the easiest way to do that....I got underneath but couldn't get most of the connectors loose....any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Welcome dude!! Yup Rich 122772 you might have to take some off ,don't glob the **** out of the connections either or they might not work to good!!Be liberal with it just not to over the top!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same problem with shifting as those listed above. Lights were flashing could only move it while in low gear. Heard whirring sound coming from transmission as engine revd. decided that something was stuck in the transmission. Unhooked the motor which drives the transmission selector. Work the motor back and forth electrically while it was running and had a distinct different noise after it was properly engaged. Hooked everything up and all worked as usual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts