Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on selling my Rancher and upgrading. What would be better a 500 Rubicon or the Rincon. I've heard bad things about IRS bikes for trail riding. I've heard that they tip over easier in off camber spots and that the rear axles tend to break.

I've also heard bad things about the Rubicon. I've heard that they lack the power to go through any good mud. Of course this was coming from a Yamaha owner. I asked him how a 500 can lack power when my 400 seems to do good in all but the nasty stuff and he said just because the bike is heavier it bogs down. I don't see how 50 pounds heavier would make that much of a difference when you have an extra 100cc.

I mostly ride trails, but play in some mud when I can find it but most of it around here is rutted out pretty good and my Rancher tends to get high sided. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
For a trail bike there aren't many better than the Rincon. I have no theard a lot about axles breaking on Rincons, but you will hear a lot about axles breaking on Grizzlies. The IRS is the way to go trail riding, smoother ride and better ground clearance.
The new Rubicon with its upgraded suspension this year is good as well. It is not geared as low as the Foreman, but it will handle most any thing you through at it. It is geared towards the "work" side of things where the Rincons is for trial riding "fun." It will handle a lot though, it is just not the best thing for towing heavy loads.

It seems your buddy is a bit brand biased to be realistic.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
no lack of power for the rubicon

·
Registered
743 Posts
If You want a trail rider then the rinny is the machine for you. There isn't much that can outdo a rinny on the trail. The rubi is an awesome bike. How can it not have power to turn the tires in the mud when it has a low range on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read on other forums that the Rubicon (in low) has more low-end power than the foreman and Rincon, especially down-hill engine torque. Is this not true?

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE ("Shinbone":gdy1g7ng)
I've read on other forums that the Rubicon (in low) has more low-end power than the foreman and Rincon, especially down-hill engine torque. Is this not true?
More low end power then a Rincon = yes
On a 500 forman in first gear in a mud hole the Foreman has way more IMOP

If the Rincon had a low range it might be a total differnet story. Around here the rincon is not a very well liked bike because they suck in the thick mud. But on the nice dry trail they are great.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Don't believe everything you hear about a rincon. Have you ever seen a rincon not be able to spin it's tires in the mud. The only mud that has ever slowed down my rincon slowed down every other bike that went throught it also. My rincon spins the he!! out of 27's. Whe you hit the gas on my rinny it wants to carry the front tires the whole time. Don't let the high reving of the rincon make you think it will not turn the tires. That is just the torque convertor design of the rincon. Shoot the rincon is only 4 ftlbs of torque short of what the brute force has. Nobody says the brute won't turn it's tires over. Yes the rincon is geared for the trail. Nothing beats it on the trail. Yes it has crappy engine braking for downhill, but it is not nonexistant. It may seem that the rinny has less down low power but that is only because of the gearing. It has way more power than either the foreman and the rubi. And with power mods it will outrun alot of the bigger bikes. I know that I have suprised the he!! out of couple of grizzlys. They didn't expect it take off like it did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Every rincon i have ever seen has not been able to spin it's tires in the mud and i have seen hundreds and pulled my fair share of them through the mud as well.
But like i said before thats around here. The mud we have is sets like cement . Which makes it hard for a rincon to get going.
I'm not talking about what i have read. I am talking first hand experince and i see it time and time again, I ride a minimum of 500 miles a mth with a group rides setup on trackshare.com and and ride about 15 poer derbies a year and the outcome is always the same. The Rincon guys hate there bike in the mud.
But on the other hand, get them on the trails and they kick a*s, have nothing more to say about the rinny on the trails accept WOW.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll have to back Ramco on this one.
not enough low end grunt to spin em.
and the mud here is like he says.
both him and I ride together. we have both been in places where we could not spin our tires.
he runs a rubi and my foreman.
with my 350 rancher. it happend lots.
give the rinny a low range, and I'll go buy one !!

·
Registered
743 Posts
My only point is the rinny does have the power just not the gear. Mine has never bogged in the mud. Wait 6 months till the gear sets are done for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE ("raveer2000":21lkjitd)
My only point is the rinny does have the power just not the gear. Mine has never bogged in the mud. Wait 6 months till the gear sets are done for them.
Ya your right , the riny has all kinds of power just not the gear to use, to get to it. Why or what were they thining when built that bike , How could they overlook the low range ?

Come play in our mud and you'll never come back with a rinny to these parts again LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rubi for mud and Rincon for trail riding.The Rincons tend to bind up with mud tires in thick situations,the low gear is not for mud.Rubicon's are made more for work and mud riding.Never seen a Rinny break a axle before,and Irs are usually better for trail riding and uneven terrain areas,unless the rear axles pop in ruts.Nothing has a mud low gear like a Foreman 450 or 400 4x4...Both bikes are unbreakable in my opinion.

·
Registered
743 Posts
QUOTE ("Ramco":23r8iyf0)
QUOTE ("raveer2000":23r8iyf0)
Ya your right , the riny has all kinds of power just not the gear to use, to get to it. Why or what were they thining when built that bike , How could they overlook the low range ?

Come play in our mud and you'll never come back with a rinny to these parts again LOL[/quote]

Where is your mud? I think that we have some pretty hardcore mud here in south mississippi.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For a second I thought I was on a Highlifter forum! J.K, as long as you're on a Honda it's all good guy's.I have seen every bike made bog down in mud in the S.Fl Everglades.Honda's doing their best experimenting with trans to avoid belt driven atv's,the Rincon just ended up better suited for light work and trail riding,that's why they make a Foreman lineup...

·
Registered
23 Posts
As long as your ridding it all good.
Sorry i wasn't trying to step on anyones toes.
Just sharing my story of what very well experinced riders experince around here.
All bikes bog and get stuck in the mud at one point and if you've never expericed that then your not trying hard enough LOL

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sorry, I am on HL alot and I always seem to be defending the rincon, I like the foreman to mud ride but my wife rides everywhere I do, she just skips the big holes. Not that she has to she just likes to ride and watch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was just joking around,I stop going on the HL site do to groups ganging up on you.Over somrthing as crazy as "IF YOU RUN MUDBUGS YOU'RE NOT A REAL MUDDER"...I had Mudbugs that were 26 and I could hang with any bike down here were I ride.Alot of it has to due with weight and driving knowledge,right?Some guys couldn't grasp that idea,so i defended and told them to come down here and bring a couple xtra belts and a trailer and see who loads up first out in the glades!!! IT'S ALL GOOD GUY'S???

·
Registered
743 Posts
HL reminds me of an old west saloon. Better have your guns ready to blaze in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold my Rincon to get a Rubicon. Best decision I ever made. No regrets.

I just added 27" bighorns to the Rubicon. If I lost any power, I can't tell. Power delivery is smooth and instant. Funny how when I added 26" Gators to the Rincon, it lost most of it's punch. Must be the difference in the trannys. I would'nt take two Rincons for my Rubicon. Three maybe....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts