Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from NC ladies and gents. Been lurking here off and on and don't think I have ever posted up.

I have a 2009 Honda Rubicon. I was having a shifting problem with the Hondamatic. Determined it to be a loose connection on the gray 21 pin connector at the control unit (ECM/PCM). I located a source for the connector and replaced it. This improved the connectors feel greatly, HOWEVER, even though I thought I was careful transferring the wires/pins from the old connector to the new connector, I must have crossed up a couple wires because now the gear position display (switch is new) no longer works. It worked fine before the connector change.

No matter where I have looked, I cannot find a "pin out" for the ECM connectors. The factory service manual does not show it and I have a connection at a dealer and their service techs don't have the pin out either! I was a Chrysler/Plymouth/ Dodge tech in another life and cant imagine th factory not providing pin out diagrams for diagnostics!

I am at a loss unless I either replace the harness, OR find someone that can take multiple photos of the wires going into the gray connector so I can compare mine.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I will also post up the location I found the connectors if that is allowed, since it seems that they fail with some age.

connector source:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have A 2009 Honda Rubicon and am having to run down wires checking for what could be throwing Code 6 ESP. My 21p connector is currently disconnected & I have ecm out. I need to check resistance on BL/R wire & Gr/Y wires. I can't find a Bl/R wire on the ecm side, in the gray connector. Perhaps we can help each other? I have pics if you need to look at them for comparison to find which wire u may have pinned incorrectly. Lemme know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello from NC ladies and gents. Been lurking here off and on and don't think I have ever posted up.

I have a 2009 Honda Rubicon. I was having a shifting problem with the Hondamatic. Determined it to be a loose connection on the gray 21 pin connector at the control unit (ECM/PCM). I located a source for the connector and replaced it. This improved the connectors feel greatly, HOWEVER, even though I thought I was careful transferring the wires/pins from the old connector to the new connector, I must have crossed up a couple wires because now the gear position display (switch is new) no longer works. It worked fine before the connector change.

No matter where I have looked, I cannot find a "pin out" for the ECM connectors. The factory service manual does not show it and I have a connection at a dealer and their service techs don't have the pin out either! I was a Chrysler/Plymouth/ Dodge tech in another life and cant imagine th factory not providing pin out diagrams for diagnostics!

I am at a loss unless I either replace the harness, OR find someone that can take multiple photos of the wires going into the gray connector so I can compare mine.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I will also post up the location I found the connectors if that is allowed, since it seems that they fail with some age.

connector source:
I didn't realize how old this post was... I'm sure you have resolved this issue by now 😉

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have A 2009 Honda Rubicon and am having to run down wires checking for what could be throwing Code 6 ESP. My 21p connector is currently disconnected & I have ecm out. I need to check resistance on BL/R wire & Gr/Y wires. I can't find a Bl/R wire on the ecm side, in the gray connector. Perhaps we can help each other? I have pics if you need to look at them for comparison to find which wire u may have pinned incorrectly. Lemme know!
I have a 2009 Foreman 500 that the wires into the 21-pin connector took a direct hit from a small broken off tree and it pulled out all 12 wires with ends from the connector. I could definitely use the photos if you think they would be similar enough models. Any help is appreciated, Cody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got it all back together correctly and now it codes ECU and won’t clear the code, also does not send voltage to the coil when cranking, fuses are good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts