Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i was out riding the Foreman and ran into something that has never happened to me before. I was riding a trail that had several water holes on it, very long but only about a foot and half or so deep, no problems going in but on my way back after hitting the third hole and coming out of it I went to give the bike some gas and the trottle response was very, very slow. I had the throttle lever pegged but it would only rev about half way so I kicked into neutral and turned off the 4wd, I put it back into first, turned on the 4wd and she took right off with no problem. I rode it for another 5 minutes or so then it did it again. I pulled over and took offf the airbox cover, found the rubber boot for the air filter was off just a little bit and the little filter underneath it was tilted sideways, actually, I didn't even know that filter was there. After fixing everything and starting it back up, it still didn't want to run right. I gave it a few minutes then started it back up and she ran great the rest of the time. Anyone have any idea what this might be? This is the first time i have ever had a problem with my machine and don't want this to happen again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, i thought for sure someone would have answer here, looks like I'll have to wait and see how she runs on the next outing.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sounds like water on the spark plug to me. Even if you greased it you should redo it every couple rides.

I also noticed mine doing something similar before I was snorkled. If I hit a puddle and the water hit the motor the steam would cause the motor to miss. But this would corerect itself real fast. Since your lingers a bit I would bet its the plug.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what i was thinking it might be but at the time the motor was to hot to check the plug. I need to get some dielectric grease and put it on all my connectors, can i put it on my plug wire too?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was reading your forum. I have just run into the same problem. Was the issue the plug? Did you replace it and it worked?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RPM fix

No, I found that after cutting my carb spring and putting it cut side down that it was sticking to the bottom of the vacuum piston. Put it cut side up and it runs as good as new. If you cut yours you might want to check it too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
EVEN THOUGH YOU FOUND THE SPRING PROBLEM....I dont think that that was your REAL problem....Sounds to me like it sucked in some water thru the carb drain hanging out the bottom of the carb. Mine has done this several times when I forget to plug the drain when playing in the water. Just take the hose and stick the end of it on the clamp bolt for your rear output shaft, when crossing water etc. unplug for travel, and steep up/down and off camber rides or you will flood the airbox with gas. Try it you shouldnt have anymore probs like that. However I THOUGHT yours was plugged???

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed

The spring was the fix to my problem, it did the same thing to me on a ride 2 weeks ago, thats when I found the spring stuck in the vacuum piston. After putting the cut side up it ran great the rest of the day but i'm buying a new spring and swapping it out with the cut one. I have never plugged my carb drain. Maybe Honda Mech can explain how the vacuum piston and carb spring works, then I would know if my theory is right or if i'm an idiot and don't know didly!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.