Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 carburated 500 foreman and live on the east coast at less than 1000 ft elevation. I am going on a trip to NM where I will be riding at 8000 to 9000 ft. I have been told I need to make changes to the carb for high altitude. Is this true and if so what changes need to be made?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
yes you will have to re jet for anything over 6500 ft i believe youll need a 152 main jet stock is a 162 just go to the dealer and get the right jet

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
nope its pretty easy pull the carb out unscrew the 4 screws on the bottom of the carb take out the old main jet install the new one and re install everything how you took it out

·
Registered
356 Posts
I cannot speak to your particular unit, but my 2011 Rubicon ran like a top at 8000-9000 feet north of Sante Fe, without a jet change. I did take 152, 155 and 158 jets with me, but once there didn't need 'em. I assume it has a 162 installed from the factory, and I know it's not been touched since new.
After week of riding the plug was slightly darker, but not what you'd think from running rich. It started and ran like a top, no hesitation and plenty of power.

So, unless you have no where to work in New Mexico, you may want to try your unit as is.
If you need to change, you may want to consider a 158... perhaps not optimal, but lean enough to run altitude ok, and probably not too lean for back home either.

Your success may vary, and save a second jet change when you get back home. In any event check you plug regularly until your comfortable with your choice.... and better rich than lean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the feedback, I think buying the jet and taking with me is the way to go. I'll post again when I get back and tell how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts