Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,I finally got a chance to ride the Foreman 500 with the head temp. gauge installed.I must first say I was surprised at how hot these motors get. It was in the 60's outdoors and I was driving on wooded trails mostly in 2nd. and 3rd. gear.It ran at a steady 250 degrees for the whole time.The fan did not come on at all during this time. If it's not raining this coming weekend,I'll be back in the woods putting the Foreman to work and we'll see what kind of temps. I get.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NEW UPDATE. Rode yesterday in the woods on narrow muddy trails,first gear mostly.The temp stayed right at 350 degrees and the fan DIDN'T come on at all. What temp. does the fan come on at? Out side temp. was upper 50's and sunny.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's correct.The second post was 350 degrees.The only thing I can think of that was different was the second time out I was moving much slower mostly in first gear and the trail was very narrow and muddy,RPM'S were higher.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Temps & Off Topic

Those temps of 350 seems really high. I am certainly surprised that the fan doesn't kick on. Have you jumped the fan harness to check that it is working?

Where in MI are you located? Ever ride the Mound, near Flint? The ATVOC club is having a short meeting and then riding there on 10-21. Bull Gap night ride 10-28.

Jaxom

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The temp is 350 degrees at the cylinder head.That should be much hotter than the crankcase temp. I live in the U.P. I've never ridden in the lower peninsula. The sensor for the fan is in the crankcase,right? I wonder what temp. it gets to turn on the fan.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Those temps of 350 seems really high
350 is not high at all in fact that's pretty much normal.The fan won't kick on at a head temp like this as it needs to read oil temp in the crank case to turn on..I belive that the fan turns on around 190-205 degrees for the oil temp which again is pretty normal for an air cooled motor.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday I was in the woods skidding cedar logs out to the field.The outside temp.was in the upper 40's and sunny.The trail was narrow and muddy,1st. gear all the time.The Cylinder Head Temp.was pretty much at 350 degrees all the time.The cooling fan would turn ON somewhere close to 375 degrees and turn OFF somwhere below 350 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.