Honda Foreman Forums banner

Replacing CV axle boots

71K views 49 replies 21 participants last post by  Bill Johnson 
#1 ·
Some tools needed are a 22mm socket, 17mm socket or wrench, 14mm socket or wrench (x2), flat screw driver/knife, pliers, snap ring pliers and a hammer.

First step support the front of the machine off of the ground and remove the wheel. Then remove the axle nut. If you don't have an impact you might want to remove the center cap from the wheel and break the nut loose before lifting the machine off of the ground.

Remove the lower ball joint nut.

Remove the nut from the lower shock mounting bolt. Do not remove the bolt yet..

With holding some down pressure with one hand on the lower a-arm hit the lower a-arm where the ball joint goes through it. A couple good hits and it will pop off.

With the lower a-arm loose remove the shock bolt and rotate it up out of the way along with the rest of the parts. You can secure it with a strap or wire if needed (I'm just using a bungee to take the pic).

Now push the axle all the way in and give it a quick jerk outwards. It might take a couple tries to get it to come out.

With the axle out you can proceed to replace the boots. If replacing the outer boot on most machines the inner CV has to be taken apart to replace the outer boot. On this one both boots was bad.

Use a flat screwdriver/knife to pry open the holders on the boot clamps. I sharpened an old flat screwdriver and it works great, a gasket scraper also works well.

With the clamps loose pull the inboard boot up out of the way and use a screwdriver or pick and slide it into the groove of the CV cup and remove the clip.

Pull the rest of the CV out of the cup and there is a snap ring at the end of the axle shaft that has to be removed.

Set everything to the side to be cleaned if needed. If just replacing the inner boot clean up the parts and start going back together. If your after the outer boot....lets get it..

Remove the clamps from the outer boot and remove the boot (do not mix up the larger clamps from the inner and outer boots).

Clean, pack CV with grease and install the new boot. With the OEM clamps clamp it and bend the keepers over enough to hold it until later.

Install the inner small clamp and boot.

Install the inner CV parts and snap ring.

Install the CV into the cup (with grease) and install the clip.

Slide the boot in place and clamp it. With a hammer lightly tap the clamp towards the keeper to tighten it and then tap the keepers so they are tight.

Install the axle (line it up and push with steady pressure and it will go), set everything in place and start tightening up the nuts and bolts.

If I missed something or if anyone has more tips to add feel free to do so.

See less See more
#35 ·
i am doing a front outer cv boot on a 2014 foreman 500 and the boot clamps aren't the same as the ones pictured ....they are the automotive style that you will need the crimper tool .......

#36 ·
Just did a 450 cv reboot

The 450 oem clamps had a thicker piece to pull the clamp tight without a tool it was nice then hammered tabs down to lock it. was not bad to do , bought a couple snap rings for the insides just in case.

#49 ·
Use regular boots, and just take them apart. Be good to put fresh grease in the inner end anyhow, and once you do it once you'll realize it's not that hard.

Shortcuts tend to cause more problems for me than they solve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.