Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it best to use an impact tool to remove the fuel tank petcock bolts? I have read it's fairly easy to strip the nuts inside the tank where it is impossible to reach. I have things apart right now and figured a good time to check its operation and filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it best to use an impact tool to remove the fuel tank petcock bolts? I have read it's fairly easy to strip the nuts inside the tank where it is impossible to reach. I have things apart right now and figured a good time to check its operation and filter.
I have to do mine on a 01 rubicon, do I have to remove the tank, if so how much time should I allow myself for the change?

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
I use an impact now. Stripped out the nutserts on a couple tanks before I started using an impact. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's definitely a tight fit on that generation of Rubicon. Remove two bolts at the front of the tank and the rubber straps at the back. Pull the shift lever knob and the side plastics. Remove shift lever bolts that hold it to the frame but leave the rest attached. Then you can pull it back while wiggling it through the front fender. It's not that bad but takes a bit of squeezing & be patient!

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
If I choose to remove the tank, is it a lot of work on a 2001 rubicon?
Not hard Pull tank covers, two 10mm bolts up front, and two rubber straps on the back.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts