Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still need a little assistance...I cannot get the bolts that connect the knuckle to the upper and lower A-arms. I put the castle nut back on each thread and hit it with a heavy hammer to pop the bolt out, but nothing moved. Do I need to remove the spring clips for proper removal? The 3rd castle nut connected to the tie-rod end was a breeze, but these last two are giving me a problem.

Please help.....Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you trying to remaove the knuckle, if so, turn it all the way to either side, and hit the crap out of the a arm. That is how i get them off.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
a regular hammer is all you need, you dont have to beat the crap out of it. you already the tie rod off, remove the bottom shock mount and roll the shock out of the way. DO NOT try to drive the balljoints out by the treads, it will only damage them and cost you more money in the long run.

loosen the nuts on both the upper and lower balljoints. holden the upper a-arm up with one hand take the hammer and hit on the top of the knuckle itself close to the balljoint, not hard and keep repeating untill it vibrates it loose.

on the bottom you will need to hold the knuckle up and hit on the very end of the a-arm where the balljoint goes into it. like I said above it doesn't take to much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again to all who replied...sorry to be so helpless on this.

I feel a little silly about asking all these questions, and when I get it apart I'm sure I'll have a better sense on what to do in the future(still a virgin on this type of maintenance work)....again I really appreciate the time and input and will try these tips on Friday or Saturday.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Do exactly as DIRTYFOREMAN says,don't beat on the ball joint stud,there not that hard to separate....look in the how-to section under the title "CV boot Replacement",there's pictures showing this procedure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mission accomplished!

After sitting overnight with WD-40 (and with the help of a fellow rider) we got the last two bolts seperated. Now that I see how the bolts look with the "tapered" fit, it all makes better sense to me. This is not that difficult to do.

The first bolt came out after repeated "rapping" on the side per various suggestions from everyone.

The second bolt was still a tight fit and needed a little extra persuasion so I used a "punch" and hammer on the A-arm support piece for the final "death blow" and it came apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.